Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 03:58 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,736,833 times

Advertisements

The other night I had my laptop on but no browser up and my Mcafee said trojan blocked - popped up twice. Thought it was kinda weird that pc on but no browser pulled up how a trojan was trying to download other than that didn't think too much about it.

I periodically like to go to Internet Options and delete all cache/cookies/history etc. well I hit the button and nothing happens. I went to System Restore and could not access as said Unauthorized by Group Policy contact Administrator. This is a personal pc, I am the administrator. So anyway I downloaded Antimalware Bytes and the program detected 3 viruses and quarantined them.

Still having issues with pc- I fixed the sytem restore and can access but does not have any previous dates since regaining access. I still cannot perform the delete function on the Internet Options, periodically my home page is reset to about:bank and when I go to shutdown the pc I am getting a box that says DLL Initialization Failure.

The pc is not running bad other than these issues and I re-ran Mcafee/Antimalware Bytes and Microsoft Malicious Software Removal and they all came up clean. I'm thinking I've removed the virus/trojan but the software glitches remain. I'm not a huge pc person so I'm not sure whether the bad guys have truly been removed or not. I personally do not understand the point to this other then just to screw with someone on why do this. I'm probably due for a new pc as I'm on XP which is no longer supported but have not had issues. I have reinstalled the operating system before but now since it is not supported I will not be able to upload SP2 & SP3 or any other.

Appreciate any info or suggestions on how to get these annoyances resolved. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 05:26 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,934,851 times
What items did McAfee Malwarebytes find?

Windows update still works with XP, you can still update a clean install.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:04 PM

I've got the recovery discs that came with pc but last time I reinstalled I had a hell of a time finding a place where I could download SP2 so that I could download SP3.

I don't remember what Malwarebyes found but thought it was resolved. apparently not.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:01 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,934,851 times
Look in the history logs, both apps keep records of what they found.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:13 AM

303 posts, read 254,268 times
first try this Dr.Web CureIt!

may be you have trojan/downloader that downloads new trojans to your drive.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:10 PM

Ran an update to MalwareBytes and then scan- it found 4 issues and removed them. I think it worked as I can access the programs I was unable to before and they ran. The pc seems to be running pretty smooth now-what a pain though. A-holes, would love to get a hold of the idiots that create these things.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:07 PM

303 posts, read 254,268 times
Use a firewall next time to stop suspicious activity in time.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:06 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,520,232 times
Firewall alone may not be enough you need real time protection that is running in the background to intercept a threat from a web page. Microsoft provides this for XP, its called Microsft Security Essentials. It worked well when I had XP up to a few years ago. Or there are others you can download or buy.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:41 PM

15,409 posts, read 25,725,485 times
Try Hitman Pro: HitmanPro Download
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers