U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 06:04 AM

11,714 posts, read 11,305,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I broke down and tried CCleaner a few days ago for the first time ever. The computer was frozen by Malware (Trojans I think). It was blue screening with a fake blue screen saying "Windows Health is critical! Call customer service at this (fake) number) The only way to regain control was to boot to Safe mode and run RKill. After that, we ran Malwarebytes to clean it out. It had to be run several times to get it all. Despite that, the computer would freeze up after a few minutes and give the blue screen (fake one), forcing a power down using the power button, and restarting it constantly. It took running Hitman Pro to stop the blue screens, but it still kept freezing up. We cleaned all the years of dust out of the case, but it still froze up constantly. So, I broke down and gave CCleaner a chance. It got rid of a lot of junk, but did not fix the freezing. So, I gave up and reformatted and reinstalled Windows 7. Now an 8 year old Dell runs like a 2 year old! CCleaner did not help at all, in this case.
If it was still freezing up with the "fake" blue screen (note you said: "but it still froze up constantly. So, I broke down and gave CCleaner a chance. It got rid of a lot of junk, but did not fix the freezing"), then you had not fixed the malware infection, which CCleaner probably wouldn't do anyway. That's why most of us often recommend both CCleaner and Malwarebytes.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 AM

13,322 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If it was still freezing up with the "fake" blue screen (note you said: "but it still froze up constantly. So, I broke down and gave CCleaner a chance. It got rid of a lot of junk, but did not fix the freezing"), then you had not fixed the malware infection, which CCleaner probably wouldn't do anyway. That's why most of us often recommend both CCleaner and Malwarebytes.
The blue screens were no longer happening by that time. None of the various malware cleaning programs was finding anything. Avast wasn't finding anything either. The only thing wrong was that it kept freezing up after 15 to 30 minutes of use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:18 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Cleaning tools will remove the malware, they won't undo damage to the OS, registry, or system files. Some malware will actually delete important Windows services, causing various things like the firewall or Windows update to stop working, these things must still be checked and fixed if needed after the cleanup.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:09 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,679,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Cleaning tools will remove the malware, they won't undo damage to the OS, registry, or system files. Some malware will actually delete important Windows services, causing various things like the firewall or Windows update to stop working, these things must still be checked and fixed if needed after the cleanup.
To add to this, registry cleaners will only remove things they think don't belong there, but won't fix things that malware may have changed, removed, or added.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:27 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
To add to this, registry cleaners will only remove things they think don't belong there, but won't fix things that malware may have changed, removed, or added.
That too

Old 02-11-2015, 01:21 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,417,475 times
I run a registry cleaner at least.......never. I used to run Spybot Search & Destroy, but haven't in years. Actually, the only thing I do run is AVG antivirus - free version. That's about it. I don't really use my computer at home a lot for web surfing.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Thank you. As I said, I never used it before. This was a test to see if it would help, and it didn't. I'll do something different next timE (because with Windows, I just know it will happen again).

Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,705,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Thank you. As I said, I never used it before. This was a test to see if it would help, and it didn't. I'll do something different next timE (because with Windows, I just know it will happen again).
Only if you allow it to happen.

For the most part, people choose to have their systems become infected with viruses and malware. And then they make other poor choices like running registry "cleaners" that offer no benefit and quite possibly cause even more damage.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,740,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz
Yes thats why its NOT A GOOD IDEA to just blindly delete what it finds,right Dave??

Because what it THINKS IS NOT NEEDED,may be very much needed!!

Old 02-12-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Only if you allow it to happen.

For the most part, people choose to have their systems become infected with viruses and malware. And then they make other poor choices like running registry "cleaners" that offer no benefit and quite possibly cause even more damage.
It's the computer my family uses. One of them downloaded something, and my wife put in the password. There wasn't much I could do to stop it. I could restrict her privileges by changing the password, but I've decided the benefit of our relationship outweighs the occasional re-install.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or