Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:26 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,917 times

Advertisements

What program(s) do you run periodically to keep your pc clean and in good working condition? Also, how often do you run it/them? The only one that I run is Malwarebytes, about once every two weeks.

My anti-virus (MSE) runs all the time, but I'm talking here about other s/w that you just run occasionally to clean up stuff that the antivirus doesn't get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 10:19 AM

303 posts, read 255,169 times
Outpost firewall. No antivirus. Antivirus chek - occasionaly, if something seems to go wrong.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:02 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Automatic updates for everything I have loaded is *on* but installation is done at *my* discretion.
CCleaner and Malwarebytes (paid for versions) run in the background doing *something* ..
When I *think* about it, I run Privazer.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:01 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,191,386 times
Norton, Malwarebytes and CCleaner...

Old 02-09-2015, 05:05 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,827,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amok
Outpost firewall. No antivirus. Antivirus chek - occasionaly, if something seems to go wrong.
Im basically the same Amok

Firewall....... REGSEEKER (clean registry) and Disk cleaner (remove temp files (Best one I have ever found (SAME WITH REGSEEKER))

And of course SCAN DISK and DEFRAG

Old 02-09-2015, 06:17 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
No novice should be using a registry cleaner, matter of fact no one should be using one on a regular basis, they serve no useful purpose. Microsoft themselves state that you shouldn't use one.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:42 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,850,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No novice should be using a registry cleaner, matter of fact no one should be using one on a regular basis, they serve no useful purpose. Microsoft themselves state that you shouldn't use one.
OK, *no novice* ...
Do you have some kind of general guideline what makes a novice a non novice ?

I usually run a reg cleaner (inside CCleaner) after I remove *unwanted* or *not wanted anymore* programmes.
Strangely, after using the regular remove a programme ritual, Reg-cleaner from CCleaner always finds some left over stuff. I do make sure however that inside those *findings*, some reference is there to the programmes I removed.

So far so good ...

<<<Microsoft themselves state that you shouldn't use one.>>>
Never or regular basis ?

Old 02-09-2015, 06:49 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
OK, *no novice* ...
Do you have some kind of general guideline what makes a novice a non novice ?
A novice is someone that thinks they need to run a registry cleaner
Seriously, if you can't review each item the cleaner wants to clean and determine that it is safe to remove, you shouldn't be cleaning the registry. I have never run one in all my years (pre Windows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
<<<Microsoft themselves state that you shouldn't use one.>>>
Never or regular basis ?
Never. it isn't needed.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,165 times
Agree completely on the registry cleaner issue. Really pointless unless you know what each of those entries actually does.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
I have AVG Free which has worked faithfully for me for many years, and is becoming even more user friendly -- one-click to temporarily disable, etc.

I run Malwarebyte every couple of months, it finds PUPs that AVG ignores.

I've disabled MSE.

I have IObit uninstaller,and every month or so, I list all programs in chronological order of install date, and check to see if I've installed something recently that I shouldn't have or don't remember.

I have a 1.5G laptop, so I defrag pretty often. I don't clear cache very often.

Before I install anything, I run the URL through AVGthreatlabs.com, so see if it's reported as nasty. If I want to install anything, I look for it at majorgeeks, and download it from there, and read any discussions about it there.

With all of the above, I've remained pretty clean for a few years, I don't spend much time at high-risk websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers