Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 06:45 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times

Advertisements

I figured I'd ask here before tossing both of these computers in the dumpster...

#1 is a Compaq desktop PC.
Quite a few months ago, it decided it didn't want to start. Managed to start it a couple of times, but never knew what the problem was.

#2 is also a desktop PC, unsure of brand.
It ran out of memory. So much so, in fact, that the 'delete programs' option quit working, although I deleted everything I could think of and it didn't help.

Can I fix either of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 05:16 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Maybe, maybe not. No way to answer that question without knowing what's wrong with them. Just about any broken PC can be fixed, it's just a matter of it being worth the time/effort/money to do it.

The first may have bad hardware or just might need an interior cleaning to remove dust buildup.

The second one may just have a full hard drive, if so imaging to a larger drive would fix it, IF that was its only problem.

Keep in mind these are guesses based on the zero information I have about them.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:27 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I thought this was going to be a joke.

2 Computers that don't work.
First computer says to the second computer....

The complete lack of information you provided is about zero help.

"It won't start". That's my favorite. What does that mean? It does nothing when you push the button? Does it make noise? Any lights come on? Any error messages? Or just...nothing.

#2: Did you try SAFE MODE?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:01 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I figured I'd ask here before tossing both of these computers in the dumpster...

#1 is a Compaq desktop PC.
Quite a few months ago, it decided it didn't want to start. Managed to start it a couple of times, but never knew what the problem was.

#2 is also a desktop PC, unsure of brand.
It ran out of memory. So much so, in fact, that the 'delete programs' option quit working, although I deleted everything I could think of and it didn't help.

Can I fix either of them?
I do not know about fixing them with the small amount of info you have provided but you should pull the hard drives before dumping them as the drives may have personal information you might not like someone getting a hold of. Also with a cable you can hook the hard drive to another computer to pull information out of it. There are programs out there to recover deleted information, when a person deletes an item basically all it does is delete the short cut and then new information may write over the old information but it also may still be there in full.

Also rather than a dumpster, places like Staples take old electronics and either give you something in the form of a gift card for them or will take them for free to be properly disposed of.

Easy on the Planet | Staples.com®
Quote:
Technology trade-in
Get a Staples eCash Card when you trade in your old technology in store or online.
In store:
Bring it in – we’ll inspect your devices
Get a quote – we’ll make you an offer
Get paid – you’ll receive a Staples eCash Card to use on anything in store or online
Online:
Get a quote – find out how much it’s worth
Send it in – ship it to us for free
Get paid – you’ll receive a Staples eCash Card via email to use on anything in store or online

Old 02-10-2015, 09:07 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"I thought this was going to be a joke.

First computer says to the second computer...."

+++

Old 02-10-2015, 01:40 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I thought this was going to be a joke.

First computer says to the second computer....
Is your drive hard or is it a floppy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers