U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 07:44 PM

199 posts, read 225,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I love building computers! To me, it's almost like the feeling my brothers and I got back in old days when we used to put together model car kits! Like you said, it was a sense of pride knowing you built one the way you wanted it.

I haven't built a computer in a long while, because honestly, it's not very cost effective. I bought a Dell desktop back in 2010 for about $800. It's 5 years old now, but it's still like brand new. I have hardly used it. At this point, what I may do is simply invest in upgrades, such as adding more memory and upgrading the video and sound cards. It's got 1.5 TB of space. 5 years ago, I considered $800 for this machine a steal!
Yeah, for 5 years ago that price was actually good. Most desktops didn't have 1.5 TB hard drives back then. They were in the more expensive machines.

Adding more RAM can make a big difference, depending on what you have now and how much it is used. I just added 8 to my Lenovo laptop because I use a lot of memory hogging apps and it made a real big difference.

Upgrading the video card can make a big difference if you do gaming or video editing as well as other graphics related tasks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 05:08 PM

13,015 posts, read 7,841,337 times
I like building computers, but not cheap ones. I like building fancy gaming rigs in cool boxes. I tell people they need to give me $1,000 and tell me what their favorite color is, and if they don't plan to game on it, don't bother. If they just want something to check email and pay bills on, I'd be happy to let them use my Dell affiliate discount to get them a good price on a regular old machine.

I've built one for each of the 4 members of my household, and one friend who challenged me to do his for $500...it went over, to $589, and he got lucky because I had some nice RAM sitting around to go into it and didn't charge him for that. It has no video card, just decent integrated Intel HD graphics, so he knows it can't perform the way a true gaming rig could, but I had to cut corners with his $$ constraints. It plays the game he wanted it for, an online RPG thing, with some of the video settings tuned back a bit.

EDIT: If ONLY people saw me as just tech support for their computers though. It's when my kids/husband demand I fix every problem with every device, from the vacuum to the router to their cellphones and X-Boxes, the furnace, even our cars! Makes me crazy...

Old 02-18-2015, 05:27 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,649,799 times
Being in the business for over 40 years I dread every time a family member says "Dad, can you help me?" Or friends ask if I can build a system for them.

The thrill of building/upgrading my systems has long since turned into a foreboding of crappy vendor documentation, conflicting drivers and having to review my WiFi statistics/DNS servers to see whats changed for the better or worse...

I am tired of constantly having to learn the new version of OS-X, Windows or Ubuntu...

I'm happy that for others the thrill is still there...

As O. Wells once said:

Quote:
I know what it's like to be young, YOU don't know what it's like to be old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or