U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 04:09 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times

Advertisements

Hey all...

I just picked up an unbranded Celeron D 360 box for $179 (really a COMPAQ SR5010NX, they just don't admit it) for my wife to play Sims2 on.

I already know before it gets here that the onboard video is crap (Intel 945g Express Chipset). She doesn't want to do hard-core gaming on it, and neither do I, but what is the best card I could pick up for it without spending more than US$50 or so on eBay or whatever?

I might want to play the occasional Spring (formerly called "TA Spring") or UT2004 on it. Who knows? But that might require more video than I want to buy. Not that Spring needs that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 04:35 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
I use the GeForce 7800GS and it was cheap, play MOHAA and COD2 on her, my friend plays COD4 with it.

This is a good cheap card XFX GeForce 8500 GT Ultra Silent Cooling 512MB DDR2 SLI Ready PCI Express (Dual Link) DVI VGA HDTV Video Card PVT86JYAHG at TigerDirect.com

Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
I seem to be agreeing with BrianH today.

Same card on Newegg. Got good reviews and has a rebate on the 256mb and 512mb cards.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! (http://tinyurl.com/25p8j8 - broken link)

Old 01-11-2008, 02:09 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,740,732 times
Thanks for the excellent suggestions, guys. I'm off to buy a card.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:01 AM

11,497 posts, read 21,900,633 times
In case you need it, here's the spec page for the Compaq SR5010NX. It says it does have a PCI-E x16 slot.

Make sure you visit that page after you get it. If you click the link that says technical support in the gray box (at the top right) it will tell you how to make restore disks. Do this asap, you might want to make 2 copies just in case.

I'm not impressed with the page for that model. Compaq is usually one of the best branded computer sites, I can usually get info for stuff like this on video card upgrades, but for some reason can't. I know with some branded computers you have to be very careful of the card's voltage, you could blow the mobo adding the wrong card.

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Installing or Replacing a Video Card

I like the choice card that was picked out. It doesn't need power. You will need to upgrade ram if it's only coming with 512. What I would do is go to Crucial to see what they suggest for this model, then you can go to newegg & match it with another brand that's cheaper.

The compaq page also doesn't show what power supply comes with it. You also may want to keep in mind you may need to upgrade it. I've never had any issues swapping the PSU out on a compaq.

Good luck with it. If you need help, there's a web chat feature. Last time I used it the techs were very good answering my questions. There is no language barrier with the web chat or email support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers