U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:30 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

It appears I either have to consider a new computer, or repair this one..
The only person that would appear to would be one who is trying to sell you a new computer.

The first thing I would do would be to get more memory. 512Mb is not adequate, especially if you use PhotoShop. Get at least a 1Gb, and 2Gb if your machine can use it.

If you are using more that 2/3 of your HD space, you need a bigger drive.

Update to Tiger (10.4.11). It will run fine on your G4 and will take care of many issues that have been worked out since your current OS was issued.

Format your drive and do a clean install.

Make sure all your programs are compatible with Tiger, and if they are not, update them.

Even if you have to pay for everything, the total cost will be a fraction of what it would cost you for a new machine, and you would have to update your OS and programs anyway.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:40 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Frankly, NHDave, I don't know what the problem is right now.

I have OS 10.2.8 and 512 RAM. The computer is about 4 years old, perhaps a little older considering shelf life.

I knew I should upgrade the OS, but kept putting it off because I own some fancy programs like Photo-Shop, etc. that wouldn't work on higher OS, and I didn't want to replace them.

Then suddenly this week Acrobat FLash Player wanted to upgrade, and i couldn't get it to work, and then Firefox crashed. I can't get Firefox to work after it opens, and with this old Safari, I can barely view City-Data, without a great deal of patience. All the whistles don't work, and it too is occasionally locking up.

So, what what wrong, I wonder?

I have talked to a few folks locally, but none of them are experts, and it was after talking to these folks, I thought I needed more RAM, but I am just confounded by what to do.

It appears I either have to consider a new computer, or repair this one, and like a car, these are always difficult and expensive decisions to make.

Any clearer?
Ok, all your apps, firefox, etc, worked fine previously on your 512MB of RAM, there is NO reason they would just all of a sudden stop working on that same 512MB of RAM, there's another problem somewhere. Ctrl click the hard drive icon on the desktop and select "get info", what is the total and used drive space of the drive? Also can you give me more info on the laptop? G4 titanium, aluminum, screen size, CPU speed, can you get me the model number off the bottom?

Old 01-13-2008, 04:20 PM

10,189 posts, read 25,082,709 times
The computer is a Titanium PowerBook G4, 15in screen laptop.

It indicates

Capacity: 55.88 GB
Available: 47.76 GB
Used: 8.12 G on disk

Machine Speed 867 MHz
Bus speed: 133 MHz
Nbr processors: 1
System Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6R73)
Model: PowerBook3.5 (Version = 3.3)
Boot ROM info: 4.5.3f2

Old 01-13-2008, 04:24 PM

10,189 posts, read 25,082,709 times
BTW, NHDave, I've run the Disk Utility on the machine 3 times; nothing came up.

And the only other thing I did was install, and today tried to uninstall is a virus checker. I can't seem to delete the virus checker, totally. It is VirusBarrier X4, and it is still showing it's icon at the top of the screen.

Any help you can offer online is much appreciated.

Right now my only alternative appears to be to go to NYC, the closest large City, and where I bought the computer, and try to get them to service it, and make the upgrades Fat Freddy suggested.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:17 PM

16,724 posts, read 29,324,467 times
This very small application will remove every application and its related files and documents from a macintosh. Be careful, of what application you tell it to remove. Read the instructions. It's a shareware, and it does not cost very much. You should be able to use it free, at least two times, and then you have to register and pay for it for further uses. Also, you must read and record the information on how to remove it from the hard drive, just in case you don't want to use it. Forgot to mention: it works with Tiger and Leopard (OS 10.4, or 10.5).
AppZapper - The uninstaller Apple forgot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or