U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM

10,189 posts, read 25,085,166 times

Advertisements

I think I'm out of memory and Acrobat Flash Player is unable to install some plug-ins.

But the bigger issue is in attempting to upgrade the program, my Firefox has crashed, and I am operating a very, very old Safari.

I am on OS is 10.2.8

Can I delete some older programs I'm not using, and recover memory; and if so, can I just take them out of my Applications folder, and put them in the trash?

Any info?

Many thanks.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,646,478 times
If you're just out of memory to run programs, you just need to run fewer programs (applications) at one time. Older versions of Safari have a memory leak, which means that Safari's memory requirements increase the longer the browser runs. You may just need to quit Safari once in a while to free up some memory.

If you're running out of disk space, you can delete some applications or delete some documents to free up space. If you don't want to delete things, you should be able to get a larger hard disk drive installed in your computer. Running 10.2.8, you're probably running a 4-5 year old Mac. You should be able to get a larger hard drive installed professionally and get everything copied over to the new drive for less than $200.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:30 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,333,275 times
Are using an older Mac? I only had such problem with the older Macintosh computer such as the 7300, since back then the total RAM in these computers was a few MBs, and the OS and other applications would use it all in a short order. Then, Apple came up with a sort of solution to the problem, and used "Virtual Memory." Virtual Memory allowed the OS to use hard drive space in addition to the RAM. I used a Mac 7300 back in the '80s. If you are using an older Mac, it's possible that you either don't have enough RAM, or that the hard drive is full.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:32 PM

I am using a PowerBook G4, Titanium, with 512mg ram. I am clearly out of memory, and using an older OS 10.2.8.

I can't restore Firefox at the moment, but using a very, very old version of Safari.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I am using a PowerBook G4, Titanium, with 512mg ram. I am clearly out of memory, and using an older OS 10.2.8.

I can't restore Firefox at the moment, but using a very, very old version of Safari.
RAM is fairly cheap these days. For example, my iMac uses PC3200 modules, and 1GB costs around $45.00 depending on who I buy it from. I have been buying from Crucial lately: crucial.com
They have a link on their web page you can use to match the RAM modules to your computer. It's best to buy the correct RAM modules to max-out the RAM for your individual computer. Matched pairs helps, but maximum amount of RAM is the way to go.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks, I know about Crucial. The folks I bought the computer from recommended them.

But my problem is I need the RAM now--I am a writer and on a deadline, and I don't know how to install memory into this small laptop. Also I am in rural America, and there is literally no one nearby to help me out to install it, let alone know or have a Mac.

So, my question is and was what can I dump to retrieve some memory now?

Anything on that is most helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
RAM is fairly cheap these days. For example, my iMac uses PC3200 modules, and 1GB costs around $45.00 depending on who I buy it from. I have been buying from Crucial lately: crucial.com
They have a link on their web page you can use to match the RAM modules to your computer. It's best to buy the correct RAM modules to max-out the RAM for your individual computer. Matched pairs helps, but maximum amount of RAM is the way to go.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:19 PM

19,147 posts, read 19,988,682 times
You could try this, click on your Mac model, then installation giude.

Apple PowerBook G4 Memory Upgrades - 100% Compatible PowerBook G4 RAM Memory

Old 01-12-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I know about Crucial. The folks I bought the computer from recommended them.

But my problem is I need the RAM now--I am a writer and on a deadline, and I don't know how to install memory into this small laptop. Also I am in rural America, and there is literally no one nearby to help me out to install it, let alone know or have a Mac.

I see your problem Maybe someone at the forum's link (below) can help you. Just explain your problem just like you did above, and see if a guy called "Bmer" can help you.
Mac Owners Support Group :: View Forum - Newbie Questions

Old 01-13-2008, 07:52 AM

10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Quote:

Your confusing hard drive space with RAM, deleting old programs will free up hard drive space, it will have NO effect on the 512MB of memory you have installed. Everyone seems to be telling you to upgrade your RAM, when it actually looks like you need more hard drive space, maybe you can clarify.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:16 AM

Frankly, NHDave, I don't know what the problem is right now.

I have OS 10.2.8 and 512 RAM. The computer is about 4 years old, perhaps a little older considering shelf life.

I knew I should upgrade the OS, but kept putting it off because I own some fancy programs like Photo-Shop, etc. that wouldn't work on higher OS, and I didn't want to replace them.

Then suddenly this week Acrobat FLash Player wanted to upgrade, and i couldn't get it to work, and then Firefox crashed. I can't get Firefox to work after it opens, and with this old Safari, I can barely view City-Data, without a great deal of patience. All the whistles don't work, and it too is occasionally locking up.

So, what what wrong, I wonder?

I have talked to a few folks locally, but none of them are experts, and it was after talking to these folks, I thought I needed more RAM, but I am just confounded by what to do.

It appears I either have to consider a new computer, or repair this one, and like a car, these are always difficult and expensive decisions to make.

Any clearer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or