Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, that's great Dave, for home use. Client in my office. Has some files he wants to share with our attorney. "Hey, can't you just connect to my wireless Hard Drive?"
Yea...no. How much faster would it be to just use a USB stick?
Then have your clients computer connect to your network, and move the files from his (or her) computer to your hard drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:35 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
My experience with 3rd party dongles and doodads for Apple products is not very positive.
That has not been the case with the Macs I have. While all have ports and such, I use several non-Apple printers, home receiver, hard drives, Bluetooth speakers, and so on. Since I save my photos to external hard drives, I have several WD drives, as well as a Plugable USB dock with SATA drives. Apple third party device-market is huge. The said, hard drives are compatible with both the PC and Macs.

Everything is going wireless, regardless if I like it or not. Intel and several manufacturers are already going wireless.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...FQeUfgodSk4AVQ

As for me, I am not interested on full wireless computers because I have too much invested on wired ones. But in a not very distant future, wire (ports) will be old technology.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-17-2015 at 08:49 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 09:01 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That has not been the case with the Macs I have. While all have ports and such, I use several non-Apple printers, home receiver, hard drives, Bluetooth speakers, and so on. Since I save my photos to external hard drives, I have several WD drives, as well as a Plugable USB dock with SATA drives. Apple third party device-market is huge. The said, hard drives are compatible with both the PC and Macs.

Everything is going wireless, regardless if I like it or not. Intel and several manufacturers are already going wireless.
A Better Way to Work: 5th Generation Intel® Core? vPro? Processors

As for me, I am not interested on full wireless computers because I have too much invested on wired ones. But in a not very distant future, wire (ports) will be old technology.
I meant the dongles and adapters. The Apple versions work better, and last longer, in my experience. I agree with you on all that other stuff.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
The biggest appeal, IMO, is the screen. The macbook air's screens are as horrible as they get. Retina (on macbook pros) screens are amazing in comparison (even with their color limitations)

Old 03-18-2015, 08:56 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Then have your clients computer connect to your network, and move the files from his (or her) computer to your hard drive.
My WiFi is behind a DMZ and unable to access my business network.
Other ideas?

Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Apple are never going to please all the people all the time.

My MacBook Pro has two USB ports, an HDMI port, an SDI port and a couple of Thunderbolt ports? How often do I use them? Not often!

From time to time I use one of the USB ports, the SDI port for my camera card (but I could connect the camera through the USB) and the HDMI. I could easily get by with one USB port if the other benefits were there.

That said, the processor is too slow and 8 Gigs of memory is on the low side in my opinion.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:39 PM

200 posts, read 241,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, that's great Dave, for home use. Client in my office. Has some files he wants to share with our attorney. "Hey, can't you just connect to my wireless Hard Drive?"
Yea...no. How much faster would it be to just use a USB stick?
Simple answer; Airdrop. Or Bluetooth transfer. Or any other of dozens of wireless options.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:48 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
Simple answer; Airdrop. Or Bluetooth transfer. Or any other of dozens of wireless options.
You keep proposing a bunch of solutions that are more hassle than "here's a USB stick."

The USB stick is great because it just works. It doesn't require proprietary tech like AirDrop. It doesn't require allowing strange computers onto my network and potentially giving them access to data I don't want them to see. It doesn't require that I have the two computers that need to share data on the same network or in the same room. Not every device is wireless and networked.

We'll eventually get to the point where wireless everything is workable, but IMHO we're not quite there yet. I don't need a ton of ports (I use a MacBook Air at home), but I do still need some.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:41 PM

200 posts, read 241,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You keep proposing a bunch of solutions that are more hassle than "here's a USB stick."
Well, I can't have kept proposing anything if that was my first reply in this thread.

Quote:
The USB stick is great because it just works. It doesn't require proprietary tech like AirDrop. It doesn't require allowing strange computers onto my network and potentially giving them access to data I don't want them to see. It doesn't require that I have the two computers that need to share data on the same network or in the same room. Not every device is wireless and networked.
Bluetooth file transfers are anything but proprietary ... and if you think a USB stick is any less dangerous than anything else then I invite you to use the ones scattered around NYC embedded in the brick walls. On top of that, AirDrop is suggested as an option since we are talking about a "Mac".

Quote:
We'll eventually get to the point where wireless everything is workable, but IMHO we're not quite there yet. I don't need a ton of ports (I use a MacBook Air at home), but I do still need some.
For many, we are there. I too use a MacBook Air, and an older iMac and MacBook Pro ... and the number of ports I use on all three is 0. They all backup to a 3TB HD networked through a router. They all print to networked printers. They all use bluetooth keyboards and mouses/mice (not sure what the plural of this is).

People complained when Apple got rid of floppy drives, and when they got rid of optical drives, and when they got rid of ethernet ports. People complained when Apple included USB 1.1. ports and abandoned legacy ports on the first iMac. Bottom line is ... people complain and say Apple is wrong, until they realize Apple is paving the way.

If I need peripherals while at my "work station", I have absolutely no issue with a USB-C dongle/dock that requires one connection to the Mac to make use of those devices and one disconnection to get up and work elsewhere.

Bottom line is, for some people this type of set up works now ... for some it will work later, and for others they will simply refuse to change. And for those that feel it doesn't work now and never will ... don't get a new MacBook. Pretty simple.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:30 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
There's also no CD/DVD drive. No more burning of CD files, compressed or uncompressed, to ITunes.

Apple has a vision, but I'm not a part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers