Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 07:00 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,590,874 times

Advertisements

Ok, 3 days now & 3 Important Updates remain undone. Each time I retry they fail. Anyone have this? It began on 3/9 & has gone on since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 07:21 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,247,769 times
Google the number of the update with the word failed and you will usually find out why. All my recent updates have installed correctly.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,525,623 times
On my Windows 8.1 PC I have to do updates manually, if left on automatic its guarateed some will fail often locking up the PC. Also I have found its best to do only do about 8 files at one time.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:49 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,055,396 times
How old is Win 7 and we're still getting, on a monthly basis, over a dozen updates with over 100 megs? I think at this point that all the updates are a larger file than the whole windows program.
I don't click 'update' but it soon does it anyway. Seems the download starts when an idle screen occurs.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:57 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,828,453 times
Are you certain that they failed? Yesterday, I had two Win7 HP laptops and 1 Win7 Pro desktop computers download 29 Windows updates, then give me the red "fail" error. All 2 machines did that. But 29 updates installed on each when I shut down and restarted the machines. I did a shutdown, not restart.

When the updates installed, one was close to 30,000 changes, it took forever, then it rebooted the machines when completed.

fwiw, the family's Android tabled collection also had to update just about everything on them this past week. There were announcements about vulnerabilities now found in Windows that had been found earlier in Android. It was interesting that a massive slew of updates followed, on both platforms. I am the (elderly) neighborhood's free tech support, and updating all their toys was getting a bit tedious this week.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:28 AM

6,576 posts, read 11,251,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
How old is Win 7 and we're still getting, on a monthly basis, over a dozen updates with over 100 megs? I think at this point that all the updates are a larger file than the whole windows program.
I don't click 'update' but it soon does it anyway. Seems the download starts when an idle screen occurs.
Enhancements/brake fixes/security patches are constant. They are providing it all customers a whole. That said, you may or may not actually need to update. Or more specifically, applying updates may not have any impact on you (depending on how you are using it). This includes security updates. Just because there is a vulnerability - it doesn't mean you are automatically at risk. In fact, in some instances, applying an update may actually break something (hence why enterprises will always test patches/updates before applying them).

That being said, how you use the computer may change. In a home environment, it's just easier to apply the patches than to have to test things every time you change your habits.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:36 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,590,874 times
Well it shows for 3 days now Updates Available, yet it is green w/ no new updates after constant attempts to retry, & so after the 3 failed updates again show, after yet another retry & they simply again -- remain red despite restart or shutdowns, & I then assume they're failed still.

So part of me thinks all are ok & done, but yet the continued prompt new updates adds confusion. Anyone think it is ok this way & left undone?

Thus, it is showing/prompting to do these failed 3 updates (in the little icon on bottom of my pc) but it is green & none available -- when performing a check for Windows Updates? Why??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers