Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:09 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
I'm just wondering am I missing something???
Yes, everyone has been unable to help you because you are encountering such an odd issue. When you "click" the touch pad, are you actually pressing hard enough that you feel the mechanical click or just tapping it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Does your system have the Force Touch trackpad?
The Force Touch Pad is currently on the Mac Books and not the Air and Pro.

Quote:
I almost feel like I could work in the mac store with the amount of info I have learned and practiced the past three days .
Quote:
Yeah, I thought about that. I just tried and it didn't install.
If you could't install Chrome, you probably aren't ready to work at an Apple store. Have you successfully installed any application yet? Installing applications is unlike Windows and maybe you just can't find them.

Quote:
but it seems like everything is moving slowly. And now after the last tech call a few moments ago when he sent over "more juice", the cursor seems as if its going even slower. And there is a noticeable lag online when moving from page to page and clicking on links - there is a hesitation before the page/link will open.
If you type in the yellow "Stickies" application is typing still slow or just when you are online?

I hope that was your internet company sending you "more juice" I can't imagine more juice from apple. Did they increase your internet speed? It sounds like you have slow internet. If so, you might not be able to click on links until the page is done loading.

Your computer probably came with a cool Apple sticker, you might just put it on a Windows computer to improve its appearance to your liking. Even after you learn how to use the Mac, you'll hate the file management method. If you like using Microsoft Office, there is a big difference between Office on Mac and Windows, which will lead to more frustration. Save a few hundred return it and get a Windows Laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 02:25 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Yeah, I thought about that. I just tried and it didn't install.
That may be due to the security settings. Go to system preferences and security and privacy. See the "allow apps downloaded from" setting. Click the lock on the lower left if you need to change the setting.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:18 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
... I want to LOVE it, I'm just wondering am I missing something???

Do you want to love it for its operating system and simply trying to get away from Win8 or for its slim and small size?

I've got both and I prefer my PC. If you want a PC version of it look for a UltraBook with an SSD hard drive and download the following program to get back the Win7 feel.

Download Classic Shell 4.0 | PCWorld

I purchased the Mac for the sole reason that a piece of software I use runs multiple times better on it than on a PC with much less resources needed.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:40 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Do you want to love it for its operating system and simply trying to get away from Win8 or for its slim and small size?

I've got both and I prefer my PC. If you want a PC version of it look for a UltraBook with an SSD hard drive and download the following program to get back the Win7 feel.

Download Classic Shell 4.0 | PCWorld

I purchased the Mac for the sole reason that a piece of software I use runs multiple times better on it than on a PC with much less resources needed.
I appreciate beauty and aesthetics. I always thought the look and feel of the MacBook air was pleasing. I do not have any heavy system needs that cannot be met by the most basic of laptops.

I did want to get away from Win8 as well.

And after talking to the apple store again and being funneled to a retailer for a potential repair, it is clear to me that this product and the accompanying frustrating experience that began before I even got the laptop is not for me.

I value efficient customer service and I will not tolerate or keep any product that requires extensive upkeep or coddling along with extended and increased phone calls.

I dropped it off today at the local fed ex "partner" shipping shop along with the two free gifts which apple sent along due to the frustrating initial ordering process.

Thanks so much to all that responded for the thoughtful tips and encouragement .

Old 04-10-2015, 04:48 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
I appreciate beauty and aesthetics. I always thought the look and feel of the MacBook air was pleasing. I do not have any heavy system needs that cannot be met by the most basic of laptops.

And after talking to the apple store again and being funneled to a retailer for a potential repair, it is clear to me that this product and the accompanying frustrating experience that began before I even got the laptop is not for me.

I value efficient customer service and I will not tolerate or keep any product that requires extensive upkeep or coddling along with extended and increased phone calls.

I dropped it off today at the local fed ex "partner" shipping shop along with the two free gifts which apple sent along due to the frustrating initial ordering process.

Thanks so much to all that responded for the thoughtful tips and encouragement .
Go to Amazon and look at Samsung series/book 9 or at the Lenovo ultrabook.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:08 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Maybe there was actually something wrong with it?

Apple's laptops are widely regarded as having far and away the best touchpads. It's so good they sell it by itself for desktop use, and people actually buy it over a mouse.

There are a few PC laptops that are just starting to have non-trash touchpads (still mostly crap though).

Not sure why you found the experience so frustrating. I've had a Mac pretty much continuously since OS X was released and don't think I've ever actually spoken to support. Ordering has always been painless. No extensive upkeep or coddling. I buy them because they just work.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:38 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
I do not have any heavy system needs that cannot be met by the most basic of laptops.

In that case you could probably just pick up a Chromebook for $299. No need to pay over $1k for any type of Mac.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:15 AM

Update!!!!! Yesterday, I decided to buy a cheapy Dell online - they had an incredible sale for a Dimension 3000 14 for $199.

Standard free shipping but I paid $15 bucks for 2 day. It shipped practically immediately and I got it around noon today!

No problems, smooth transaction, no phone calls from Dell.

The keyboard keys are different, I don't know how to describe them, they are smaller which will take a bit of getting used to.

The trackpad has gestures which I like. And importantly, the trackpad works!!! It is responding to my touch and movements appropriately. One touch and it does what its supposed to do. I am fiddling with the Win8, getting used to it and installed the Chrome browser with no problems.

This is so funny to me, for about 1/5th the price of the coveted - which is exactly what it was for me - Macbook air, I am satisfied!!!

Old 04-11-2015, 12:20 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
You are happy thats all that matters...

Old 04-11-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
You are happy thats all that matters...
love it - your pic I mean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers