Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Thanks for this additional info! I like knowing what this battery looks like before poking around. Opened up the Device Manager but with my limited knowledge can't tell if anything is wrong there.
If there is a problem in DM you will see a small icon to the left of the item. IIRC it's a triangle with an exclamation mark in it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 04:03 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
While I agree it totally sounds like a "Time" thing, upon doing a fresh install, the time and date SHOULD be correct at least initially. It should have at least worked once.
Nope... Even with a fresh install if the time was off and with no way to connect to the Internet, the time would have to be reset and according to the OP.. Her computer wouldn't let her reset. If she wasn't looking for the time/date discrepancy it would have gone unnoticed. The only time that the computer will reset the time/date automatically is for daylight savings. I'll bet not only the time is off but so is the year.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:38 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Unplug the computer from the network. (This stops any automated time setting that may be occurring)

Unplug the computer from power.

Leave it there for 10 minutes

Turn it back on without plugging the internet in.

Check what the date time is. If its off by a couple years...the CMOS battery is having issues.

Plug the internet back in.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Unplug the computer from the network. (This stops any automated time setting that may be occurring)

Unplug the computer from power.

Leave it there for 10 minutes

Turn it back on without plugging the internet in.

Check what the date time is. If its off by a couple years...the CMOS battery is having issues.

Turn off the computer.

Replace the battery.

Turn the computer back on.

Plug the internet back in.
Fixed that for you

Old 04-14-2015, 09:43 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,154,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If there is a problem in DM you will see a small icon to the left of the item. IIRC it's a triangle with an exclamation mark in it.
Thanks for great photo. I hesitate to open up the computer even with power disconnected. Was told there is a risk of getting shocked--what about this?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:06 PM

Very little risk. Touch a part of the metal chassis after you take off the cover to dissipate any residual electricity. I spent over 25 years working on computers and never hot shocked. And I am one who gets zapped regularly in daily life. Got nailed twice today while shopping.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:09 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Thanks for great photo. I hesitate to open up the computer even with power disconnected. Was told there is a risk of getting shocked--what about this?
Not really, if you're concerned about it operate the power switch a few times after you unplug. I have seen power supplies with very small amount of power in them after you unplug. That will discharge it. Personally I never do this.

Once you open it up be sure to touch a metal part of the case before doing anything else, that will discharge any static electricity that could damage the computer.

If it's that old and never been cleaned it's probably going to be packed with dust. Don't use a vacuum cleaner except on the outside because that can cause static electric. Take it outside and use some canned air, I just use the air compressor but that can contain moisture. I usually let the computer sit for at least one hour to make sure any moisture has evaporated. You don't have to worry about that if you are using the canned stuff.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:37 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Nope... Even with a fresh install if the time was off and with no way to connect to the Internet, the time would have to be reset and according to the OP..
During the Install of the OS you are prompted to set the time. If you set that properly at the very least, that first boot should work fine.
Of course it probably asked her to reboot right away...

T&CGirl, just check the date first before opening it up. Click on the time in the lower right. A calendar should pop up.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:55 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,154,449 times
Someone instructed me to type in an IP address instead of having it assigned automatically. Guess what? All error and certificate issue messages disappeared and could finally download Google Chrome. So happy!

Old 04-18-2015, 06:40 PM

I am rusty, but that might mean DNS is not working so you're not getting an ip address from your router like you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers