U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 09:08 AM

94 posts, read 131,045 times

Advertisements

I know I can copy and paste the new files from my HD to my external HD. but it just takes lot of work. Is there a way to automatic sync between my hard drive and my external hard drive everytime I plug in my external hard drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 11:48 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
There are programs that will do this once you set them up. I used one called Puresync for a couple years, it used to be free, now paid. I'm sure there are others out there.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:42 PM

40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
MS has synctoy: Download SyncToy 2.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center

One thing to be aware of when syncing files for backup. If your regular file/folder becomes corrupted and you overwrite/delete backup with corrupted files using sync they are both toast. For example suppose you have a very long Word document and accidentally delete half the pages in the middle, once it's synced with the backup they both have missing pages. As another example suppose you accidentally delete some files or folders, when you sync unless it's set to keep old files on the backup it's going to delete them.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:26 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Why don't you create or use an existing script?
Just to give you an idea, I use Windows batch files all the time, even at work.

See the text file view of the two generic scripts I wrote.
Each text file can easily be converted to a script merely by changing its file extension. You will naturally get a warning during extension change, ignore and click YES.

So, change the file extension for both from .txt to .cmd then place both on the External Drive and you are good to go!

Use only the one that works best for you:

RoboBackup will do a true sync mode backup of the currently logged on user's:
- Desktop
- Documents
- (IE) Favorites
- Music
- Pictures
- Videos

xBackup will do a full, exact copy of the same folders the first time. Then proceeding times, it will only copy the files/folders that were created or modified since the last backup. So, in essence, it starts as a full backup then switches to an incremental backup.

Note: Both will work on Vista and up but for WindowsXP, you can only use xBackup unless you obtain a version of robocopy.exe compatible with your version of XP.
Attached Thumbnails
How to automatic sync between my hard drive and my external hard drive?-file-extension-change.png   How to automatic sync between my hard drive and my external hard drive?-backup-scripts.png  
Attached Files
File Type: txt RoboBackup.txt (685 Bytes, 95 views)
File Type: txt xBackup.txt (863 Bytes, 89 views)

Old 04-17-2015, 08:43 PM

94 posts, read 131,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Thanks a lot. This works ok, but do you run into problems when it fails to sync some of the files?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:35 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
I this and I love it. It is free and works very well.
FreeFileSync | SourceForge.net

Old 04-26-2015, 09:30 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,058,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
I know I can copy and paste the new files from my HD to my external HD. but it just takes lot of work. Is there a way to automatic sync between my hard drive and my external hard drive everytime I plug in my external hard drive?
Do you have a Mac? Time Machine does it automatically.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:17 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I this and I love it. It is free and works very well.
FreeFileSync | SourceForge.net
I will definitely check it out.

For the longest time, I used the folder Sync function that came with PowerDesk (not-free) application but nowadays, there are quite a few comparable free/open-source alternatives!

Years ago, I have used SyncToy that Coleman mention, simple and reliable but lacking in certain functions and UI.

Last several years, I've been using the open-source, portable one: Toucan

Here is another open-source one that automates the process which I will be testing as well: Synchronicity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or