Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:57 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,154,449 times

Advertisements

I'm going to buy a new laptop but most come with Windows 8. Can I just uninstall W8 and install Windows 7 using my disk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 02:07 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
No.

Use this so it looks like Win7:

Download Classic Shell 4.0 | PCWorld

Old 04-19-2015, 06:59 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Actually the answer isn't no, the answer is, it depends.

The first big question is where did you get your Windows 7 disk, and is the product key already in use on another computer?

Old 04-19-2015, 07:40 AM

The answer is still No.

Even if you install Win7, you won't have drivers to make everything work.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:44 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
No it isn't, as that is my second thing to look at in my "it depends" answer. Knowing absolutely nothing about the laptop you have no idea if the manufacturer provides Windows 7 drivers or not.

You're giving the lazy answer, not the correct one.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:47 AM

Still no.

Per other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
... purchased a Windows 7 disk (Home, not Pro version...). ...
Not laziness, but reality. That being said there are a minor few laptops on the market that are downgradable and come with drivers for 7 & 8. After the last thread I don't think the OP wants to spend days scouring the internet for drivers and repurchasing software that was on the laptop before, but won't be there afterwards. Buying a win8 computer and loading the link given in #2 keeps everything intact. Takes a few minutes to download and allows the OP to keep all the functionality of their new computer. So lets see; 16 hours of work to attempt something that may or may not work or 5 minutes of work that will work. We've really got to get off this mindset of making things more difficult then they actually are.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:20 AM

82 posts, read 138,530 times
Depends on the license of Windows 7 that you have.

-If your copy of Windows 7 was pre-installed on a PC then the answer is no. This is an OEM copy and it is non transferable.

-If your copy of Windows 7 did not come with a computer but is an OEM license for system builders the answer is still no. You can't use this license unless you are the builder of the PC.

- If your copy of Windows 7 is a retail license that you purchased separately from a PC then it is transferable. If you have used this license on another computer you must uninstall it first before installing it on the new machine.

- If your copy of Windows 7 is an Upgrade Edition then it is only transferable if it was used to upgrade a Retail copy.
--For example; Windows XP retail copy upgraded with a Windows 7 Upgrade licenses is transferable.
--For example; Windows XP OEM license that came with prebuilt computer upgraded with Windows 7 Upgrade is not transferable.

----------------------------------------------------------------

With all that being said, if you purchase a new laptop with Windows 8 Professional you will get the option to downgrade Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7 Pro ( or even Vista Business if you want).
Understanding downgrade rights

Old 04-19-2015, 01:47 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,799,364 times
If you do want to buy a laptop with Windows 7 Preinstalled, look at the "For Business" or "For Work" webpages of manufacturers. They can be easily purchase. IT manager have spoken, manufacturers listened.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,154,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Still no.

Per other thread:

Not laziness, but reality. That being said there are a minor few laptops on the market that are downgradable and come with drivers for 7 & 8. After the last thread I don't think the OP wants to spend days scouring the internet for drivers and repurchasing software that was on the laptop before, but won't be there afterwards. Buying a win8 computer and loading the link given in #2 keeps everything intact. Takes a few minutes to download and allows the OP to keep all the functionality of their new computer. So lets see; 16 hours of work to attempt something that may or may not work or 5 minutes of work that will work. We've really got to get off this mindset of making things more difficult then they actually are.
Thank you. I'm not going to try it. Will either get W7 already on the laptop or bravely get one with 8. No, I don't want to spend days scouring the internet for drivers. I spent too much time these past two months already on computer and router issues. I'll take the easy way.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Thank you. I'm not going to try it. Will either get W7 already on the laptop or bravely get one with 8. No, I don't want to spend days scouring the internet for drivers. I spent too much time these past two months already on computer and router issues. I'll take the easy way.
So what's your spending limit and which manufactures do you dislike?

Example:
Windows 7 laptops | HP® Official Store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers