Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 07:27 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,269,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
A LOT of people would disagree with that statement. GMaps has never, not once, let me down. Waze has given me some odd directions, like "Cut through this neighborhood" instead of just staying on the main street and turning right at the light.
Once it actually took me to what it thought was my destination, I arrive, it recalculates, tells me to go around the block, I do, bring me right back to where it had me, not me destination, and then does it again. THAT was an odd one. (No, I didn't keep driving in circles).

Do you have a phone that can do GMaps? Just to confirm there isn't something wonky on that tab's GPS.

Honestly, though, if my livelihood was driving, I'd seriously consider investing in a Garmin or Tom Tom.
Heheehee... Yes, I've had Waze do that kind of thing too, and other crazy things. I was heading south on 75 to Marco Island, when it told me to get off at Alico Rd. go to Three Oaks, do a U-turn, go get back on the highway and head south again.

Other times it's told me to go in the opposite direction of the address I put into it, and ran me in circles in an area I'd never been to before and didn't know. It helps to know when to ignore Waze. Often it wants to zig-zag me through neighborhoods to get where I'm going instead of just going the direct route.

I don't think my iPhone 3G will do Google Maps, it will not load the needed iOS for it, so I'm pretty much stuck with Waze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 08:34 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,117,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Honestly, though, if my livelihood was driving, I'd seriously consider investing in a Garmin or Tom Tom.
I don't trust those either. Read my earlier post. My Garmin told me to take a non-existent exit and got me lost. The other disadvantage is you generally have to pay additional fees to keep your Garmin maps updated.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,117,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Heheehee... Yes, I've had Waze do that kind of thing too, and other crazy things. I was heading south on 75 to Marco Island, when it told me to get off at Alico Rd. go to Three Oaks, do a U-turn, go get back on the highway and head south again.
I think part of the issue with Waze is that it's supposed to be taking real-time traffic data into consideration when giving directions. So it's probably over compensating to some extent. I remember a while back there was a story on the news about people in California complaining because Waze was guiding people off the freeway due to traffic, and leading them through small neighborhoods.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:18 AM

16,503 posts, read 19,583,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't trust those either. Read my earlier post. My Garmin told me to take a non-existent exit and got me lost.
I bet it happens a lot less on those deedicated devices then on phone apps.

Quote:
The other disadvantage is you generally have to pay additional fees to keep your Garmin maps updated.
This used to be the case but is NOT any longer. Viva la competition. In order to compete with Google Maps, even the cheapest GPS comes with lifetime updates now:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-5-Inch-...eywords=garmin

Old 05-18-2015, 11:57 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,269,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I think part of the issue with Waze is that it's supposed to be taking real-time traffic data into consideration when giving directions. So it's probably over compensating to some extent. I remember a while back there was a story on the news about people in California complaining because Waze was guiding people off the freeway due to traffic, and leading them through small neighborhoods.
Oh yeah, it does that to me all the time, and it will also tell me to turn left and head back the way I came very persistently. I'll be going south on 41 and it will tell me to turn off to the left and head back north, when the address I put in is several miles south. I just ignore it and keep going, and eventually it will rethink and get it's act together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers