Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:52 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have in-depth knowledge of this....as it relates to motherboard compatibility?

I had never run into this issue until yesterday when I received my RAM upgrade from Newegg. Since then I have been reading extensively and have found that there is much confusion and misinformation out there about this.

I have learned that the question of low vs. high density is critical to memory selection for older motherboards and yet none of the vendors that I know of includes this information in their product descriptions.

Anyone dealt with this before? If so, I'll fill in more detail. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 06:18 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Anyone here have in-depth knowledge of this....as it relates to motherboard compatibility?

I had never run into this issue until yesterday when I received my RAM upgrade from Newegg. Since then I have been reading extensively and have found that there is much confusion and misinformation out there about this.

I have learned that the question of low vs. high density is critical to memory selection for older motherboards and yet none of the vendors that I know of includes this information in their product descriptions.

Anyone dealt with this before? If so, I'll fill in more detail. Thanks.
I've gotten tired off matching motherboards to memory and just buy the memory based on memory manufacturer's website to match with factory complete built systems.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:14 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
It's really not that critical. At all.

Personally I use crucial.com

Run the scanner there, buy the memory they recommend. Works the first time every time and the memory has lifetime guarantee.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's really not that critical. At all.

Personally I use crucial.com

Run the scanner there, buy the memory they recommend. Works the first time every time and the memory has lifetime guarantee.
More mis-information of the type that abounds in the cloud.

Lots of older chipsets will not address more than half of high-density RAM, which is mostly what's out there today, but not identified as such.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 05-20-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I've gotten tired off matching motherboards to memory and just buy the memory based on memory manufacturer's website to match with factory complete built systems.
I had never run into this "density" issue before, though I've built several systems over the years. So, when the correctly speced memory (ddr2 PC2-4200), which is what I've used for 9 years in a smaller RAM capacity, was detected at half, I began to learn all about it.

My plan B was going to the manufacturer's website to use their memory finder tools and, of course, my motherboard was not among the hundreds listed. Plan C was a phone call where I lucked out getting a wonderfully helpful woman who put me on hold, looked up my motherboard specs, and pointed me to exactly what I needed.

It's on it's way.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:58 PM

If you're having RAM density issues with your mobo it may be time to upgrade. Come on brother... ditch that XP box already.

(/teasing ya/...)

Old 05-23-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
If you're having RAM density issues with your mobo it may be time to upgrade. Come on brother... ditch that XP box already.

(/teasing ya/...)
Perhaps the only thing we will ever agree on is that Crucial is the way to go. They were as impressive and helpful as Corsair was infuriating and useless.

I had to go with DDR400 to get the low-density RAM that the chipset in my motherboard needs as they had no more stock in low-density DDR2. Fortunately my motherboard has slots for both and will accept either, as long as the two types are not installed together. The marginal difference in speed between DDR and DDR2 will be dwarfed by the difference made by going from 512MB to 2GB.

As to replacing my XP box? There's less chance of that every day. I don't like what Microsoft has done since XP and I like the direction they're heading in the future even less.

Everything I run runs betters in XP. I would be a fool to cough up more dough to downgrade.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:28 PM

Got my memory today, installed it, system recognized 2048k as anticipated. I can already see the huge difference in system performance.

I just wrote Crucial a thank you note, and I can't say enough about their outstanding service and product. I honestly don't remember the last time I dealt with a company that went the extra mile to show that they actually cared about me as a customer and took the time to do what it takes to earn my business. Rare indeed in 2015.

They now have a customer for life and I highly recommend them to anyone needing help with memory.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:07 PM

I've been a customer for at least 15 years.

Great customer service, website is easy to use, the memory scanner and let's not even mention the LIFETIME guarantee. Which I have used once. Memory was 2 years old and I had no proof of purchase. Not a problem, no questions asked, they just replaced it.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I've been a customer for at least 15 years.

Great customer service, website is easy to use, the memory scanner and let's not even mention the LIFETIME guarantee. Which I have used once. Memory was 2 years old and I had no proof of purchase. Not a problem, no questions asked, they just replaced it.
That's extraordinary.

And I don't think that their being based in Idaho is just coincidence with our favorable experiences. There is a night and day cultural difference between the people of Boise and here - or most other large metros, for that matter. Great people up there and I've had my eye on Idaho as a retirement option for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers