U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:44 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,395,201 times

Advertisements

Any computer experts or members of the Geek Squad here?

I have some malware on my computer that I can NOT get rid of. I have 3 layers of protection, have downloaded the fix, and the blasted thing will not go away.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 12:54 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,512,358 times
Any idea when it got on your computer? How old is your computer? If your computer is not that old and if the malware is a very recent happening you can do a system restore back to the day before it showed up and that should get rid of it. If you do this be sure to save anything else you may have added to your computer after that time.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:04 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,145,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Any computer experts or members of the Geek Squad here?

I have some malware on my computer that I can NOT get rid of. I have 3 layers of protection, have downloaded the fix, and the blasted thing will not go away.

HELP!
I don't know about others, but I had Adware/malware in my pc too that nothing would get rid of, including Norton or McAfee. I finally tried Ad-Aware SE Personal from Lavasoft. It's a free download and I've had it now for about two years. I keep its icon on my desktop and I can activate anytime I want to. Plus, it gives free updates! It cleaned all that stuff out and it eliminates spyware and cookies too and explains what it's caught as well as gives you the option to see everything it captured before you check the box to eliminate it. I love it. I have CCleaner too, but I find that goes too far and it can eliminate things you might want to keep. I save that one for emergencies. The web address to the Ad-Aware SE Personal free download is:
www.lavasoftusaDOTcom (broken link).

Old 11-10-2006, 01:05 PM

I found it with a Spybot scan 3 days ago. Spybot can not remove it. I am pretty sure that I got it on a travel website that was making my pop-up blocker sing like crazy.

Even the removal tool can not remove it.

My computer is 8 months old.

I will try a system restore.

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2006, 01:08 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,117,950 times
Actually, I have my system restore turned off because sometimes viruses and worms and whatever can hide in there. When you say you downloaded the fix, I'm assuming that was from your anti virus website? Do they have a support e-mail address you could try? They might have the best answers since their fix didn't work. What protection do you have?

Old 11-10-2006, 01:13 PM

I have Windows Defender, Awil Avast, Yahoo!Anti-spy, and Spybot Search & Destroy. Spybot is the only thing that even sees it.

I have e-mailed, but so far no answers.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:19 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,512,358 times
Everyone I know that has had problems like this did a restore. In fact I know people that don't even use any anti-virus software and only do system restores when they have problems. I'm not recommending that but the people that do it work in the computer field so there might be something to it.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:07 PM

Lavasoft's Ad Aware did not detect it.

I am running AVG now.

I appreciate all of the help. When something gets rid of it, I will let you know.

Oh, this is smitfraud c. toolbar888 if anyone is curious.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:13 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,145,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Lavasoft's Ad Aware did not detect it.

I am running AVG now.

I appreciate all of the help. When something gets rid of it, I will let you know.

Oh, this is smitfraud c. toolbar888 if anyone is curious.
I looked up the smitfraud by google and went to 2spywareDotCom and it had a question from a reader about that and a guest answered with this:
" had Spyaxe on my machine and thought I had Smitfraud-C. as well. Spybot deleted Smitfraud, but it kept reappearing on every scan. Trick is to boot in safe mode, delete nvctrl.exe (must be in safe as Spyaxe sets this up to run on startup and contantly reactivate if killed) then go to the registry identified by Spybot (Explorerrun) and remove all the entries related to .exe files referred to in the Spyaxe page on 2-Spyware.com. Spybot appears to see the reference to nvctrl.exe in the Explorerrun registry as Smitfraud-C. when it is likely that this has been copied by Spyaxe. Hope this is useful to someone."

Old 11-10-2006, 09:31 PM

I have tried that one. Tried a few more this afternoon as well. I am waiting for tech support now, because I am very frustrated.

I am using Firefox now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers