Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Uninstalled. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 08:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Just read this on Maximum PC:

Quote:
A Word About Migration

When you upgrade, Windows 10 will do its best to migrate your applications and settings, though there are some exceptions. Straight from Microsoft:
For Anti-virus and Anti-malware applications, during upgrade Windows will check to see if your Anti-virus or Anti-malware subscription is current. Windows will uninstall your application while preserving your settings. After upgrade is complete, Windows will install the latest version available with the settings that were set prior to upgrade. If your subscription is not current, upgrade will enable Windows defender.

Some applications that came from your OEM may be removed prior to upgrade.

For certain third party applications, the “Get Windows 10” app will scan for application compatibility. If there is a known issue that will prevent the upgrade, you will be notified of the list of applications with known issues. You can choose to accept and the applications will be removed from the system prior to upgrade. Please be sure to copy the list before you accept the removal of the application.

In other words, get your licenses in order and be ready to re-install certain applications, if necessary.
windows 10 minimum specifications - Maximum PC

Old 06-03-2015, 08:11 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
The 'get your computer prepared to download win 10' is 3 gigs
win 10 32 bit is 16 gigs, 64 bit is 20 gigs.
Thanks for the suggestions, but none of them help any of us with limited gigs per month or slow service.
MS says the 20 gigs will load in a little over an hour. That's if you have 50mps service. MS thinks everybody has Comcast or Verizon FIOS. Not only don't I have 20 gigs per month but if I did pay for it, download would take 6 hours with 8mps. For people still using DSL it's even longer, maybe 12 hours. Looks like I'll be waiting for this computer to die to have win10

Old 06-04-2015, 05:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Same here, that would consume more than a month's traffic
But I don't even want that crap. I can tell you how the update would work: W10 would screw up your solid W7 system because the reinstallation of applications would certainly not go nearly as smoothly as they say, some would simply be gone. And then there is no way back and you would have to format your hard drive and reinstall W7. At the end of the day you wasted a whole lot of time without any advantage.
Not to mention that probably there is even more NSA stuff, back doors, compromised random generators for encryption, etc. in W10.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:40 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Approximately 98% of Americans have access to broadband internet.
More than 70% use broadband.
Another 10% passes on broadband and uses 4G LTE in lieu of conventional internet access.
(Figures are from 2013. I suspect they have not declined since then.)
Microsoft is playing to the masses.

Downloads are MUCH more economical for MSFT than distributing discs, particularly retail packaged discs. The ability to download supports free and wide distribution of the OS.

NSA?
I'm sitting here looking at a spankin' new SSD, and I predict it will be in the machine and running W10 by August 1st.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:57 AM

I also have 4G broadband Internet access, but the download volume is limited, so the speed does not help me much. Actually, since servers and other infrastructure components are usually overloaded, I might as well have 3mbps instead of 300 mbps again, wouldn't make any difference in daily usage

Old 06-07-2015, 08:23 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Just spent quite some time getting rid of that intrusive GWX (stands for Get Windows 10) app, that keeps popping up and running in the background.
If you don't want to be molested by that app, prevent the Windows update KB3035583
Or if you already have it installed, uninstall and hide it. And of course you have to manually remove all GWX folders from your computer, and the related tasks from the task scheduler.
Yikes ...
Looked at the list of installed KB's and found the one mentioned.
Uninstalled it, and then the thing restarts.
All looks OK, until you look at the notices where it says, that you need to install that same pesky important update again ...
Persistent little bugger !

Old 06-07-2015, 08:47 AM

After uninstalling the KB, you have to restart your computer and make Windows Update search for updates manually. It will list that KB again, and now instead of downloading it, you have to right-click it and hide it. This way it will not be looked for and installed again.

Of course you have to have your Windows Update service set to notification, but with manual installation, not automatic one. It is better anyway because you can decide which suggestions get installed.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:05 AM

It seems they are trying to push WX on everyone. Today Windows Update suggested among other things this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664

What is annoying is that on that info page it says it is an Optional update, but in the Windows Update window it was listed as an urgent update, not an optional one. They are trying to slip those WX updates onto our computers behind our backs because they know people simply download all urgent updates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers