Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,067 times

Advertisements

What does it mean if I can use the internet with the ethernet cable connected to the laptop but it doesn't detect any wireless networks when it's unplugged???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 06:40 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
It means your laptop isn't detecting any wireless networks within range. Either there are in fact none or your wifi is turned off.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It means your laptop isn't detecting any wireless networks within range. Either there are in fact none or your wifi is turned off.
then what does it mean if the wifi i turned on and there is a wireless networks, actually networks and it doesn't detect none of them but it connects to the internet using an ethernet cable? all of the network drivers required are already installed

Old 06-01-2015, 07:03 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
OK, before this gets any more ludicrous, OP download this wifi sniffer and tell us what it sees please...

Downloads | NetStumbler

Old 06-02-2015, 07:49 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
How old is the laptop? I had a Toshiba Windows Vista laptop that things like wifi just quit working after about 2.5-3 years. It was software or OS issues, not hardware failures. The laptop detected no wifi networks. Thinking the internal wifi card went bad, I bought an external Netgear USB adapter and installed the software for that. As soon as I plugged in the USB wifi adapter, the internal wifi woke up again and worked ok afterward.

What I ended up doing with that machine (because it got even flakier later) was copied off my data, made sure I created 2 sets of recovery disks first (in case the recovery partition was corrupted, which it was not.) Then I restored the laptop to factory out of box and applied all of the Windows updates, and put my data back. The laptop ran like new after that.

Another of my Toshibas (Windows 7 Home) developed similar issues, except it could see networks and would connect but then would have no Internet access. I got a new SSD hard drive for it and used recovery disks to set it up as factory outta box, then applied Windows updates. Works great. The SSD is a really nice upgrade.

Summary: I think they need a wipe-and-reinstall sometime around the 2 year mark.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:05 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Forgot to say: Some computers have an actual hardware slider switch to turn the wifi off. Some have software that switches the internal wifi adapter on/off. Check whether your wifi is enabled or disabled. But those 2 machines I mentioned had wifi on and Windows thought it was working correctly, but it wasn't.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:41 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Forgot to say: Some computers have an actual hardware slider switch to turn the wifi off. Some have software that switches the internal wifi adapter on/off. Check whether your wifi is enabled or disabled. But those 2 machines I mentioned had wifi on and Windows thought it was working correctly, but it wasn't.
I was going to mention that - you beat me to it. My older Sony has a slide switch on the front left edge - not labeled or anything. First, I didn't even know it was there, and second, when I found it I didn't know what it was for and googled looking for a labeled diagram that showed all the external slots-ports-switches.

Living2015 - by chance does your laptop have a slider?

Also as SorryIMovedBack suggests, look to see if your networking software has wifi turned off.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:28 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
if you are using windows, i would boot up a linux live-usb to verify it is a windows software problem and not broken hardware.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:17 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The wifi adapter could be defective. Things break you know.

psik

Old 06-08-2015, 07:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Go to

Control Panel/System/Device Manager and click on Network Adapters so the items in it show up.

Any icons to the left of a component?

Is there a WiFi adapter listed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers