U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 12:04 AM

747 posts, read 1,748,213 times

Advertisements

Hi, can anyone on this board (obviously experienced or accomplished with video work) recommend a good brand of video editing software for the purpose of creating a 3-4 minute movie mashup? Currently I have been using Windows Live Movie Maker which does fine with simple stuff, but the more elements I try to combine, the more junked up my project seems to get. I'm trying to create a video montage (this is paid freelance work here) for someone that includes various movie clips, a humorous full-length song and different sound effects (in mp3 format) Seems that when I tried to combine sound effects (even though they are short and sweet) they wrote over the song instead of just blending in. My husband says that WLMM is kind of "primitive" compared to Adobe premier which has a "timeline" guide that is lacking on WLMM. It's on his computer and he said try it out and see. ..

Obviously I'm not the next Stephen Spielberg here...but I don't want to shirk my duties

Also want to make a point that I'm not fishing around for "freebie" software that can do what I'm hoping for ....I understand that you get what you pay for (most of the time) I can undertake a free trial if I need be.

So that's it, long story short, trying to create a good video montage with a song and sound effects but to have them synchronize correctly...not have a funny sound cancel out or overwrite the 3-minute song....

Any advice, I will listen, thank you!!

PS-Mods: I did not know if this topic was better suited to "consumer electronics" or computers My best guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 06:04 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,285,292 times
There is two modes to Movie Maker's timeline.

Premiere has consumer version, that said I'd recommend Video Studio. You don;t need to spend hundreds of dollars on a professional editor. VS has more than enough tools to keep you busy.

VideoStudio Pro Trial

Old 06-03-2015, 03:26 PM

Yeah, we may have the consumer version; I am not sure what version is out now....

Apparently VS is made by the Corel company? I use their graphics, drawing, art program, have the version 15 edition which is pretty top notch

Old 06-03-2015, 04:13 PM

90 posts, read 150,368 times
Camtasia is another good video editor. It's pretty easy to use. https://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

Old 06-03-2015, 05:09 PM

3,728 posts, read 8,505,039 times
I have video editing software that came preinstalled on my computer called Cyberlink PowerDirector. I would NOT recommend this program. I have a Sony camcorder and when importing videos Cyberlink is not able to recognize any sound from the video files. I've had much better luck using Microsoft's free Movie Maker software.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Cyberlink PowerDirector. I would NOT recommend this program
Interesting...I have never heard of them...

I don't actually dislike Movie Maker. It's been good for making slideshows and whatnot. The video in question is more complicated than that ...the client wants sound and visuals to sync a certain way to create a certain impact which is why I have been looking into a more sophisticated program (that hopefully doesn't cost an arm and a leg) Unfortunately the really excellent ones do and I guess with all that there may be a steeper learning curve. I'm going to have to look at that Camtasia mentioned above and possibly that free trial of Video Studios I know you pretty much get what you pay for with software so a trial run of good, not-free software may be the ticket. I can see buying the software when you know for sure you are going to use something a great deal; but this project may be a one-time thing.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I have a Sony camcorder and when importing videos Cyberlink is not able to recognize any sound from the video files.
It should be able to recognize anything from a camcorder. What kind of camcorder and how are you importing the videos?

Old 06-05-2015, 10:09 PM

5,166 posts, read 10,479,013 times
See if you can a trial version of the latest Pinnacle Studio.
I have been using that for a long time.

Combine video and audio
Multi-layer editing allows you to combine up to 6 video and audio tracks. Also create custom-fit soundtracks with ScoreFitter.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Apparently VS is made by the Corel company? I use their graphics, drawing, art program, have the version 15 edition which is pretty top notch
Originally it was Ulead before Corel bought it. Ulead used to have a professional line of video editing applications and their disc authoring application was considered best on the market other than the the very top of the line applications like Scenarist which is $1000's. Corel dumped the professional products, while dumping the video editor was probably a good idea not sure why they dumped the the disc authoring application. They folded the higher end features into the consumer lines Video Studio and Movie Factory. Even before that VS was pretty powerful editor for the consumer. For Corel it's their flagship video products so unlike Adobe they aren't going to hobble it compared to the more expensive versions.

In case your wondering both Video Studio and Movie Factory can take you from raw video footage to burned disc. Video Studio focuses on editing, Movie factory focuses on disc authoring.

Just a quick tip since your familiar with the image editor, if you want to do titles or any kind of static image you can use your image editor to export .png or .tga's with transparent backgrounds and use them on an overlay track. This is how you would create the Ken Burns effect which is little bit more involved than panning and zooming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or