Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 04:03 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,656,452 times

Advertisements

I bought a laptop from staples. They didn't have one in stock at my local store but there were two at a store 30 miles away. One was unopened in box. I asked for that one and it appeared to be in the original packaging.

I went into the spam folder today and it has been receiving mail since May. Also, all the sites give the town it came from as my location. That is, it doesn't ask me for my location. It assumes I am in the town the computer was sent from.

Now these are small things, but do they mean that my computer has been used?

This is my first new computer. I am just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 04:05 PM

605 posts, read 702,798 times
Your email should not be a "general" email account. It should be just yours. Did you sign into another person's email account? It almost sounds as if the computer you had was not reformatted before it was sold/resold. I would just bring it back to Staples and ask. Better yet, I can think of many other places to purchase a computer than a Staples store.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:27 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,410,624 times
Sounds like it was used and returned to stock.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:06 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,656,452 times
thank you for your replies. I think I am confused about what happened as Annilyna's post about a "general email" suggests. How could I have spam from May in an email acct I set up less than a week ago?

It may be advertising. I didn't open it.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:30 PM

265 posts, read 345,758 times
It should be brand New, meaning that you should be seeing the "New Setup" Menu, where you start setting up new computer, and it should not have an existing email address.

If you bought it as "New", and it turns out that it is "Used" Return it!!!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,593,875 times
Two options

1. Take it back and insist on a new one.

2. Keep it if they will give you a reasonable refund since it is a used computer.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,666,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
thank you for your replies. I think I am confused about what happened as Annilyna's post about a "general email" suggests. How could I have spam from May in an email acct I set up less than a week ago?

It may be advertising. I didn't open it.
If spam is in your email account, then you set up your email account longer than a week ago. If you logged into your existing email account on a new computer, then your existing spam will come with it from cloud storage and come up in the new computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers