U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:04 AM

892 posts, read 2,216,934 times

Advertisements

I have an HP desktop. This is my first "pc" as I have had Macs since the 80's. The only reason I switched to IBM is the compatiblity factor. Now Macs will run most all software. My next purchase will be a mac because I miss them. although I am very pleased with my HP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 07:31 AM

4,486 posts, read 15,418,410 times
I have a Sony Vaio SZ Series laptop and absolutely LOVE IT. It has all the storage and capabilities I'll ever need. Sony has a great reputation for building high-quality items but they're usually fairly pricey (Vaio's start around $1000 without options). I view a computer as a long-term investment that I'll use everyday so I really don't have a problem spending $3000-$4000 on one that has everything I need. I'd definetly recommend the Vaio if you can swallow the price.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:45 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,826,669 times
Thumbs up Never buy an off the shelf computer

I have a very custom built PC tailored just for my use. Actually I got two, one is tailored for multimedia (WinXP) and the other for general use (Win2000). Well I got a lot more computers still hanging around and some of those are used for special purposes.

You should want a lot more than just being able to get online. Mine are designed to let me swap out data hard drives in trays. I have a very large collection of hard drives that I buy as cheap as possible. Those get organized by subject matter and can be swapped in / out as desired. The concept is the computer can fail, I could lose the Drive C but the data is always safe and completely backed up in two places. Only the operating system is on Drive C.

The bad thing about off the shelf computers, they never have a big enough power supply and never enough expansion room. They come with too much cheap junk like mouse, keyboard, speakers that usually need to be upgraded to have a super machine. I can continue to upgrade over a number of years and not have to replace the actual computer for quite a long time. Put your serious money in motherboard, power supply, monitor. I usually can recycle some parts computer to computer. Hard drives, tray systems, ZIP / Floppy drives.

Using the swappable hard drive concept, your data can continue to follow you forever. I also like those BYTECC external enclosures for adding even more drives. It is all about nice places to put stuff. I always get a ZIP drive installed, just about never use a CD-ROM drive. Hard drive media properly used is the most reliable form of storage there is.

It is really about designing the computer for some failure that will occur. It will happen but you should be able to restore it too your original condition easy and quick. Design the hardware for fool proof backups. The off the shelf systems never are.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:58 PM

7,414 posts, read 16,888,139 times
We have a Power Spec desktop and a Toshiba laptop that we bought last year for Christmas. The Toshiba costs us about $1,300 and the Power Spec costs around $700. Both computers work great for us, but then again, I keep both hard drives cleaned up as much as possible. Clean the hard drive, run anti-virus and defrag at least once a week.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:47 PM

233 posts, read 834,955 times
I purchased a Dell E1505, after comparing it to HP. Both companies are good competitors, but I was able to get a discount and rebate for Dell.

I'm thinking at this point in technology, you really cannot go wrong when buying from the top brands (Dell, Apple, HP, Sony and Toshiba). -Not sure what's going on with Gateway.

As said in a earlier post, I too would not buy a pre-boxed computer.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:56 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,423,349 times
Am I the only one that has a Gateway? I had one back in '99 & it's still goin! Of course we got a new one in '03 - the one piece deal - for some reason I love them! But for some reason, they have more probs... We recently had to send the thing back 3 times!!! (We had a 3 year warantee - barely made it! Phew!) The 4th time, they just had us open it up (if it was just me I don't think I coulda done it...) & close it back & that fixed it..For now...(knocking... ) I want to get the Profile 6 (we have the 5) when we're ready to get a new one, though he's not that keen on the one pieces - even the tech guy said the 6's are even more trouble than the 5's...They might've even stopped making them by now...A month or so ago I saw them on their site, but when I looked a few days ago, I only saw the refurbs...Hmmm...I dunno - I just like em!
Mom loves dell.
I don't care about the brand as much per se, I just dig not having a tower!
(Even though the comp desk we have has a space for one... I'm odd I know... )
I believe Gateway is the only one to make that one piece deal.
I do think they're good though (Gateway) because that first one's still kickin! (knocking again...)
Windows 98 & everything...

Old 07-22-2007, 07:28 PM

702 posts, read 2,913,396 times
I have had Dell's ever since computers became available to the general public. Never had a problem that Dell didn't take care of.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:45 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,664,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Am I the only one that has a Gateway? I had one back in '99 & it's still goin! Of course we got a new one in '03 - the one piece deal - for some reason I love them! But for some reason, they have more probs... We recently had to send the thing back 3 times!!! (We had a 3 year warantee - barely made it! Phew!) The 4th time, they just had us open it up (if it was just me I don't think I coulda done it...) & close it back & that fixed it..For now...(knocking... ) I want to get the Profile 6 (we have the 5) when we're ready to get a new one, though he's not that keen on the one pieces - even the tech guy said the 6's are even more trouble than the 5's...They might've even stopped making them by now...A month or so ago I saw them on their site, but when I looked a few days ago, I only saw the refurbs...Hmmm...I dunno - I just like em!
Mom loves dell.
I don't care about the brand as much per se, I just dig not having a tower!
(Even though the comp desk we have has a space for one... I'm odd I know... )
I believe Gateway is the only one to make that one piece deal.
I do think they're good though (Gateway) because that first one's still kickin! (knocking again...)
Windows 98 & everything...
I have a Gateway too. I brought it this year after replacing my seven year old dinosaur (another Gateway btw). I haven't had any major problems with the first puter (it still works) so I decided to go with Gateway again. So far I have been pleased with my new one.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:52 PM

52,147 posts, read 30,211,055 times
I have a Gateway laptop, with 768 megs of memory, 100 gig disk drive and an AMD Athlon 2 GHZ processor, with the Windows XP Home OS.

My desktops are:
A very reliable Dell I bought in 2000 (originally with Windows 2000) and I upgraded it to XP Professional 2 years ago and installed a 40 gig disk drive. It has a Pentium III 800 MHZ processor, 768 megs of memory and a 64 meg video card.

A gaming computer that I built 3 years ago. It has a Pentium 4 HT, 3.2 GHZ processor, with 2 Western Digital 10,000 RPM SATA disk drives, set up in a RAID array with a total of 75 gigs of space, 256 meg GeForce video card and 3 gigs of memory, running on the Windows XP Home. It's a VERY FAST computer and has a superb frame rate on all the games I have on it.

Last but not least, a Dell with a Pentium III 1 GHZ processor, 512 megs of memory running RedHat Linux 9.1 Server. I'm impressed with the computer, but not the operating system.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:22 PM

7,562 posts, read 16,553,321 times
I only ever buy prebuilt Laptops

I have a gateway x2 Core 2 gig ram and a pc

Barebones, Athlon XP46 x2 2.6gig, 4 gig Ram, Geforce 7600, Vista Ultimate, and 20" LCD. All for $900, couldnt buy it for that cheap when I was looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or