U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:08 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,953,110 times

Advertisements

foma, you are quite welcome. Not to throw more Apples at ya , but, might also look at the following if so interested:

http://www.macmegasite.com/node/3671 (broken link)
Apple - Get a Mac - How to move to Mac
Parallels vs. Boot Camp ~ The Chris Pirillo Show (http://chris.pirillo.com/media/2007/05/18/parallels-vs-bootcamp/ - broken link)

This is a bit old, but still somewhat relevant to get idea of the two systems:
Running Windows in Parallel on Your Intel Mac
Guide for Choosing Boot Camp or Parallels to Run Windows on an Apple MacBook

Myself, only new s/w I had to buy was MS Office. Mac's [not MAC - sorry, pet peeve ] have a lot of built-in software that is very capable for many people. If need stronger/faster, that too is quite easily acquired.

/end Apple Macintosh commercial...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 12:30 PM

3,350 posts, read 12,797,179 times
I'm still using my Univac. It's hell to keep clean and I can't find many programs for it but I own it outright!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/Univac.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-23-2007, 12:40 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,072,433 times
hahaha ... good one! cute!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:22 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,953,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I'm still using my Univac. It's hell to keep clean and I can't find many programs for it but I own it outright!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r131/exhdo1/Univac.jpg (broken link)
Ummmm,,, is this the old or the new one you mentioned in November that you were looking at acquiring?

Old 07-23-2007, 02:02 PM

52,155 posts, read 30,219,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
LOL....

It's a good way to heat your house in the winter..

Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 PM

453 posts, read 1,964,339 times
both my laptop and tower are dell. my laptop at work is an hp, and though it is very sturdy i don't like the keyboard layout and the buttons. most mainstream brand computers are all going to be sturdy. if you're buying a laptop, buy the computer that has the keyboard and buttons that you like, and make sure that it's case doesn't prevent you from upgrading; my laptop has 4 usb ports, which is enough for me, but i can't upgrade the videocard because the case is custombuilt for the current video card.
if you're buying a tower, focus more on cooling, and upgradeability; focus on getting a great motherboard that will not limit you if you upgrade processors, ram, or video cards.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:32 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,416,917 times
I just got a Sony Vaio which I like. It replaced a Gateway I used heavily for almosy 8 years with little to no problems. I also have a Tosiba laptop.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,128,993 times
I bought my gateway in november 2005. It ran with no problems for 9 months and then it went to gateway for weeks . Motherboard issues, they wouldnt explain exactly what was wrong. After getting it back for 2 weeks I had the same issue, back to gateway for several weeks. I asked for a new pc and that was out of the question, "we stand behind our product" i was told. Got it back and maybe 3 weeks later it broke again. I notified gateway and they said send it back, now of course my warranty was over and the 3 month extension on warranty expired also. I refused to send it back as the company is not capable of fixing the stupid thing, so now my computer stays on all day and night, if i turn it off it wont boot up or post..... great deal those gateways. And this was not a cheap computer

Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 PM

52,155 posts, read 30,219,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I bought my gateway in november 2005. It ran with no problems for 9 months and then it went to gateway for weeks . Motherboard issues, they wouldnt explain exactly what was wrong. After getting it back for 2 weeks I had the same issue, back to gateway for several weeks. I asked for a new pc and that was out of the question, "we stand behind our product" i was told. Got it back and maybe 3 weeks later it broke again. I notified gateway and they said send it back, now of course my warranty was over and the 3 month extension on warranty expired also. I refused to send it back as the company is not capable of fixing the stupid thing, so now my computer stays on all day and night, if i turn it off it wont boot up or post..... great deal those gateways. And this was not a cheap computer
OUCH!!.... wow, so much for the "We stand behind our product" claim. I can't imagine how frustrating your experience was with Gateway! If there's a Fry's Electronics store in your area, I would take it to their service department, they'll diagnose the problem and tell you exactly the what problem is and what you need, and they won't charge much for diagnostics. They also do sell quality replacement parts for your computer to replace whatever Gateway could not fix.

The motherboard on it might also have a reset mechanism that looks like 4 or 5 little toggle switches. Often if there's a problem with the power supply, the reset circuit will be triggered to prevent damage to the motherboard and other components, so from the description you posted, that might be the case and like I said Fry's Electronics will do complete diagnostics to find the source of the problem and help you fix it.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:23 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,128,993 times
Thanks Mike, I have never heard of them, but I will look around. I can't seem to find any reputable repair places locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or