Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 PM

255 posts, read 821,488 times

Advertisements

After nearly purchasing a couple of Dell laptops, the ridiculously bad service from Dell convinced me to go with another Mac instead. I already had 2 iBooks and bought 2 MacBook Pros (beautiful and powerful!). I no longer own anything but Macs, and don't miss PCs at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 07:21 PM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Quote:
the ridiculously bad service from Dell convinced me to go with another Mac instead. I already had 2 iBooks and bought 2 MacBook Pros (beautiful and powerful!). I no longer own anything but Macs, and don't miss PCs at all.
THAT is why I typically build my OWN computers. Can't have bad service from myself. And there are STILL programs I need that do not run on Mac's. Yes, I know about the programs that allow you to run Windows on a Mac but there are just some things you need real time access to a PC.

We do have a Mac and use it for lots of things. Liz

Old 08-06-2007, 08:03 PM

79 posts, read 249,756 times
I use both PCs AND Mac. Have to as I record music.
I have 9 PCs and 1 Mac G5

Both are great but a PC is more practicle in todays world due to it's customization capabilities.

Most people who use Macs do so cause they either think it's cool OR cause they hate microsoft, oh also cause they're yuppies.

Only 10% use them because of the software issues.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:05 PM

159 posts, read 355,712 times
Thumbs up Once you go Mac you'll never look back!

After building my own Windows based desktop PC systems for a couple of years, I made the switch to Mac (12" G4 iBook) and have never looked back. I am now on my second Mac notebook, a brand new beautiful 15" MacBook Pro.

One of the big advantages to the Mac that is not normally mentioned is that even their current operating system (OS X Tiger 10.4) will run on Macs that are several years old. Try doing that with Windows XP, let alone Windows Vista. That means that in three years you can just update your operating system without having to buy a completely new computer or spend mega dollars upgrading your current system.

As someone else mentioned, if you find that you really need to use a Windows application that is not available on Mac you can install and run Windows on the Macs with Intel Processors. After using Macs for four years, I only recently found a reason to install Windows XP on my MacBook Pro. The reason, the software for the new GPS unit I recently purchased is not Mac compatible. I do want to point out though that I rarely, if ever launch Windows on my Mac because I am literally able to do everything I need, or want to do on my Mac.

Sure Macs do cost a little more than a basic PC, but trust me you absolutely get your moneys worth in both the quality and the service.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,669,512 times
Well, here's what I've got and whats on them:

Dell XPS M1210 - 12.1" "Ultraportable"; running Kubuntu Linux 7.04 & Windows XP MCE (for AutoCAD). This is my every day PC for hauling to work and back home.

Custom built - Running Fedora 7; used for decent audio recording

Custom built - Running Kubuntu 7.04; my generic home PC.

Custom built - Test bed running seven different OS's right now....

Custom built - Currently my media center & control system testbed, running LinuxMCE with some custom apps for toying around

Fujitsu Stylistic - old tablet PC, running Kubuntu, being used as my test for a control system touch panel.

17" iMac - Running OSX, for my photo and video playing around

I think thats about it... there are others, but more or less aren't used day to day

Old 08-09-2007, 03:42 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,189,119 times
We have two house laptops, one is a 700m ultramobile I use when I travel. It's small enough to fit on an airline tray but not so small that it looks like an oversized pda

I have an old workstation I use as a development and staging server for my LAMP work. But my pride and joy is a $7,000 Dell 710 H2C w/ a liquid thermal cooling system and a warrantied overclocked CPU, 4gb of RAM, 500gb fault tolerant RAID, dual GeFORCE video cards driving a 30" widescreen 2560x1600 flat LCD. It's scary fast and whisper quiet. It's the sickest computer I've ever owned.

Sean

Old 08-10-2007, 11:30 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I have a second-generation iMac (lime ) that's never been upgraded. Oy. We're mulling over buying an inexpensive PC, but I'm loath to give up my Mac.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:46 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
We have:

Macs - OS 10x
10 Linux machines running SuSe that convert over to 10 Windows machines running XP
3 laptops running Linux with various distributions - Fedora, SuSe, Red Hat, Ubuntu - these are for testing and developing.
2 Laptops running Windows XP

4 old Sun servers - Sun OS

Old 08-10-2007, 12:04 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I'm still using my old UNIVAC, (hey my father told me we were getting 3D T.V. when it comes out so black and white is just fine for now). I'm thinking of upgrading to the new UNIVAC one room sized model. The only drawback is you need a couple of friends to help operate it.
UNIVAC mainframes got a lot smaller after Unisys introduced the CMOS-based variant of the 2200/900 called the 2200/500. Still runs an EXEC 8 derivative, of course, but doesn't need water cooling anymore. :-)

If you use a UTS60 emulator, you can get color support. Heck, a decent UTS20 emulator lets you set the colors for various FCC-delimited field attributes (protected, inverse, etc.), so you can kinda get pseudo-color if you want. How's that for way kewl??

Obligatory Screenshot :-)

@FREEALL
@FIN
$$CLOSE

Last edited by rcsteiner; 08-10-2007 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Added screenshot. :-)

Old 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Most of my hardware at home is older business hardware acquired via eBay, so it might not be representative of current home PC hardware, but I've been quite happy with it, and it all seems to be of very high quality.

My main desktop is a Micron Millenia Pro2 PPro tower built in late 1996, but I also have two nifty jet black IBM IntelliStation Model 6899 mini-towers from 1997, a pair of Compaq Deskpro 6200 desktop models from 1997/1998 (with a third in parts), and a 70-pound Compaq Proliant 2500 server with three hot-swappable drives made in 1998. All of them use SCSI disks, all have ancient Millenium and Voodoo2 video cards, and all but the Proliant are using Adaptec 2940 controllers (it has a different brand of SCSI controller plus a RAID controller I'm not using).

I need to update my diagram, but this will give you some idea of my setup at home.

The one thing I have which I do recommend, though, is a Buffalo LinkStation with a Buffalo DriveStation as a dedicated backup disk. Makes a very nice and lightweight fileserver (it runs a Linux flavor in ROM and uses Samba).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers