Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:27 PM

3,492 posts, read 6,436,115 times

Advertisements

Haven't owned a Mac since 1989. How do Macs handle updating, as opposed to the way Windows does patch Tuesdays and all that?

Also, I read Windows 10 has Auto Updates all the time and you can't turn it off. Are they eventually going to let people turn it off? Can you at least do "notify first before loading updates"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 08:06 AM

6,556 posts, read 11,179,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Haven't owned a Mac since 1989. How do Macs handle updating, as opposed to the way Windows does patch Tuesdays and all that?
Windows has patch Tuesdays mainly to support their Enterprise/Corporate client's patch management process. Apple doesn't have a formalized process - more ad hoc.

Quote:
Also, I read Windows 10 has Auto Updates all the time and you can't turn it off. Are they eventually going to let people turn it off? Can you at least do "notify first before loading updates"?
For the home version - there is no option of delaying/rejecting updates. I've actually heard support for this as the least protected systems are the home users.

Pro/Enterprise allow patches to be delayed for testing. The only version that provides full control is the Enterprise version on long term support (essentially companies on volume licensing).

Old 08-06-2015, 10:37 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Ad hoc, install when you want or set it up to install automatically. You can opt to install all updates or just security fixes.

In the grand scheme of things, automatic, forced updates are a net good for Windows, though one could argue that a bit more fine-grained control would be nice - e.g. the ability to disable the automatic installation of non-security updates.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 08-06-2015 at 10:49 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 01:08 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,118,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
In the grand scheme of things, automatic, forced updates are a net good for Windows, though one could argue that a bit more fine-grained control would be nice - e.g. the ability to disable the automatic installation of non-security updates.
Windows allows this on the pro edition.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
Mac OS Updates are installed through the App Store. There's no cost to receive them. It's just the tool Apple uses for distributing them.

Version updates are released about once a year now. OS X 10.10 Yosemite is the current version update. OS X 10.11, El Capitan will be the next one, and it's coming out in a few weeks. Apple is subtly encouraging users to update to the latest version update by making them free and by only releasing security updates for the current version. Since there's no cost and there haven't been many backwards-compatibility issues with the most recent few version updates, there's almost no reason not to take them.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:38 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times
Apple updates are sure a lot easier, and take less time than windows updates.

I'm a long time mac user, but bought a HP laptop because it was too good of a deal to pass up... Setup has taken at least 7 hours so far, and I haven't even installed the programs i need. And I want to install Windows 10 before I put any graphic design programs on...

A few days ago, I tried to buy a subscription to MS Office for Mac, because I had a client who was stupid enough to use MS Publisher for a graphic design program.

Not only was the download difficult and unsuccessful, it took them 6 hours to process my credit card (apple and adobe do it instantly). So MS takes my money, and doesn't deliver the product.

Then customer service puts be through to some offshore tech with a very poor command of English, who insisted on having access to my computer for a simple install. WTF?!

Updates and installs should not be this difficult.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:04 PM

615 posts, read 658,334 times
Quote:

Save yourself, get a mac.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
A few days ago, I tried to buy a subscription to MS Office for Mac, because I had a client who was stupid enough to use MS Publisher for a graphic design program.
How did that work out for you? I don't think there is a Mac equivalent to MS Publisher.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:56 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times
You can get a mac version of publisher - its part of the MS Office Suite Subscription (which is why I TRIED to buy an office subscription., I figured 6 dollars a month wasn't too outrageous)

I have a PC at work with MS Publisher. Dealing with obscure fonts was a major hassle (if you design any document and send it for someone else to prepress/clean up/print/publish - please include all your fonts. Macs and PCs can both use the same OTF and True Type Fonts)

It was easier to make the edits by converting the MS Publisher Document to a PDF, and making most of the edits in Adobe Illustrator.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:24 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
You can get a mac version of publisher - its part of the MS Office Suite Subscription (which is why I TRIED to buy an office subscription., I figured 6 dollars a month wasn't too outrageous)
Since when? As far as Microsoft knows, there is no Mac version of Publisher, period. Access and Publisher are included with an Office 365 subscription, but those two only run on Windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers