Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 1,600 times

Advertisements

I have a C-Drive (Windows 10) and several EHD's (external hard drives).

The EHD's mirror what is on the C-Drive, I use the EHD's to back up the exact data, the exact number of files, that are found on the C-Drive.

Problem: Sometimes my C-Drive might have a folder that has way more files in it than the EHD does. For example, the My Pictures folder located on the C-Drive

might have 1,100 files in it

and the same folder (My Pictures) located on the external hard drive might have less,

950 files in it, for example.

Is there a procedure (or a software program) that will

quickly find, highlight, and point out

the 100 outstanding files so a person can transfer them over to the EHD?

My EHD's are remotely stored in a safe deposit bank at a chosen bank. I swap them out, or rotate them, about once a week.

If you're a code king or code queen then please dumb your answer down, way down, because I'm a simple person who mows lawns for a living, thank you

Jennifer

My OS: Windows 10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 05:51 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
There are a number of programs that can do this:

Beyond Compare is pretty much the top of the line, but it's not free.

Scooter Software: Home of Beyond Compare

WinMerge is free, but may not be quite as full featured, or as user friendly.

WinMerge

Old 08-15-2015, 07:48 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times
Google free software that suits your purposes. You might find something awesome for $20 license fee. For me it's easier to write a program like this then to find one, and then you have to install it. And you know what ? It will ask you to reboot. It is seriously easier to write one then to look for a good free version for me.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:52 AM

658 posts, read 1,143,069 times
if you are comfortable in the command shell, there is a simple solution described here
How to compare two folders in Win 7 prof 64bit - Microsoft Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers