Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:07 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,641 times

Advertisements

Stay away from Windows 10. It trashed my desk system and my laptop. Lost all data and had to hire a techie to bring the laptop back to life. $$$. There seems to be a flaw in Windows 10 according to the techie. It does not work with so many common things. I purchased a new Garmin and when I registered the item, a very normal procedure, my Windows 10 factory installed on a new laptop crashed. Also had to spend $$$ for another techie to reinstall factory installed software programs on the laptop. The techie said Windows 10 is not ready for prime time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 07:30 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,553,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Stay away from Windows 10. It trashed my desk system and my laptop. Lost all data and had to hire a techie to bring the laptop back to life. $$$. There seems to be a flaw in Windows 10 according to the techie. It does not work with so many common things. I purchased a new Garmin and when I registered the item, a very normal procedure, my Windows 10 factory installed on a new laptop crashed. Also had to spend $$$ for another techie to reinstall factory installed software programs on the laptop. The techie said Windows 10 is not ready for prime time.
Interesting, been running the NEW version of 10 and no problems with anything (yet) and I have both Garmin Mapsource AND Garmin Basecamp installed and running fine.

As for having to have a tech refresh your systems, that's totally unnecessary. The first thing EVERYONE should do on EVERY SYSTEM is to create a backup System image on either DVDs or a remote hard drive. It's not difficult to do and could potential save a significant amount of dollars:

How to Create a System Image in Windows 7, 8, or 10

Of course backing up files to either a DVD or remote hard drive is also required. I also created a shell script that even backups up my Firefox settings and my mail from Thunderbird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM8560
Well just reciently i was gettinh anti maleare pop ups saying i needed scan from software i didnt have. Then as time went on my laptop got real slow after turning it on....
Feel free to send me an email (03bluecoupe@gmail.com) and I'll send you my recipe for keeping malware at bay and my systems running well. I hesitate to post it here because I don't want to get accused of promoting software etc.... I maintain quite a few peoples machines remotely and I use all free versions and run 'em weekly. If run weekly, it doesn't take a whole long time to do. The first time through can take a while though. Your call.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:44 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
I have heard some horror stories about 10 so I have been skeptical to upgrade but after talking to my tech guy and others that seem to be fine with it I am going to upgrade once I make sure my system is completely backed up. I have had some issues with 8 as well could be Dell issue or 8 I really can't say. Wish me luck lol

Old 12-06-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
I have heard some horror stories about 10 so I have been skeptical to upgrade but after talking to my tech guy and others that seem to be fine with it I am going to upgrade once I make sure my system is completely backed up. I have had some issues with 8 as well could be Dell issue or 8 I really can't say. Wish me luck lol
Bingo Don! Make sure to do the system image to a remote medium over and above your normal data backups. If you do need or want to revert - that's the only way you can do it.

Yes there were horror stories about prior 10 versions but the November one seems pretty stable here. Now, if folks are having issues with the latest release it may (and I emphasize *may*) be due to older hardware device drivers. Dunno, just speculating on that one.

I will say that there are frequent updates to the system but with any relatively new operating system, that's kind of normal and to be expected.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:10 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bluecoupe View Post
Bingo Don! Make sure to do the system image to a remote medium over and above your normal data backups. If you do need or want to revert - that's the only way you can do it.

Yes there were horror stories about prior 10 versions but the November one seems pretty stable here. Now, if folks are having issues with the latest release it may (and I emphasize *may*) be due to older hardware device drivers. Dunno, just speculating on that one.

I will say that there are frequent updates to the system but with any relatively new operating system, that's kind of normal and to be expected.
Steve your exact words are what my guy told me. It is a new system so hopefully no old hardware issues except maybe Office 2007. Let's hope not lol And thanks for the imaging tidbit

Old 12-06-2015, 11:12 AM

112 posts, read 184,583 times
I put Win10 on my wife's older mini Dell laptop about 3 months ago to make sure my preferred software would run smoothly. Worked like a charm. Didn't lose a thing.

Just put Win10 on my 10 year old Dell laptop last Sunday. Again working like a charm, didn't lose a thing. In fact performance seems better. Used Windows Transfer Wizard prior to the installs to copy all my data, even though I back-up any critical data daily.

Like with any newer programs....there is a learning period. Some people seem a little impatient, therefore fail to realize that most system/program upgrades actually are an improvement.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:05 AM

281 posts, read 406,109 times
MS does not want old versions of Office to work properly as they are trying to sell you their new Office program for $6.99 a month.
The forced updating is what rubs me the wrong way. I called MS about it and they remotely went into my computers to disable it. Now I can manually check for updates.
I had several legacy programs that would not work at all or required additional work to get them going.
I would never recommend anyone to upgrade?? from 7 to 10. 10 is just some spit polish and move stuff around that does the same thing.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:11 AM

281 posts, read 406,109 times
Go into their new map program. Look for restaurants and stores in the area. It shows stores and restaurants inside Rotonda. The street view shows a house.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:14 AM

Don't know about the "official" Office - I've been using OpenOffice for quite a few years. But I don't do anything fancy either.

I'd be interested in what programs you have/had that wouldn't work? I hit zero that wouldn't work.

With any operating system migration, there is always some amount of change involved, just goes with the territory. I can't think of one new version that's come out that didn't have people who hated it for this reason or that. Some were worse than others, that's for sure though (Think Vista... )

The main thing I've noticed is that it runs faster than 8.1. Still didn't care for their "new and improved" Start menu so I installed Classic Shell - voila, a real Start menu again! Other than that and my "normal" Firefox customization and adding my linux commands to the path, I've left it pretty much alone.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Go into their new map program. Look for restaurants and stores in the area. It shows stores and restaurants inside Rotonda. The street view shows a house.
I see 1 "restaurant" - The Freaky Tiki and one "store" A knitting "store" listed. That's not Windows or Microsoft - they're just using public databases that most off of that kind of software reads. Now, if you find a map function that doesn't work - that would be fair game to beat them up about but the data isn't.

I know I've had the "Freaky Tiki" come up with various searches of food joints in the area, never could figure that one out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
View detailed profiles of: