Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 02:27 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times

Advertisements

I was shopping online for a vitamin and got a lot of google-recommended manufactures. I clicked on one and was connected to the home page of a little-known vitamin co. I'd never heard of (and I know practically all of them). I should say at this point I have Windows 7. After closing the page I went to a variety of non-related pages (religion, BBS, auto-related info page---BUT always that same co's ad kept popping up for the exact product I was inquiring about on their page (vitamin C sodium ascorbate powder) !!! Not only that, but along with it were products I hadn't ordered in months (COQ10 100 mg. 120 softgels) which is the exact dose and mg I buy from another supplier who I had not ordered this particular product from for about 3 months!! !!! Coincidence? How did they know the exact form (softgel) the exact dose (100 mg) and the exact amount per bottle (120 softgels) if I hadn't ordered it in 3 months????? For the record I clear out all cookies and cache at the end of every day when I turn off the computer!

Can somebody please explain. I have the best AV program available (BD) as rated by CG, but I show no spyware or malware on my computer. Is MS Explorer doing this? Is there built-in spyware in W7?

I have read that Windows 10 is even more intrusive, so intrusive in fact that MS has become a virtual spy/reporting agency for the NSA/HS. So if I innocently google "gun powder", wondering what the components of it are I could have the NSA knocking on my door some day wanting to know why I was interested in gunpowder. If you don't believe me about Windows 10 watch this video. It shows the ridiculous lengths you have to go through to disable about 50 surveillance devices scattered all over the program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=octjhIXkcf0

I makes me think of seriously switching to TOR to surf. I might not have these intrusions into my shopping habits.

Here's the disclaimer buried in about a 12,000-word agreement you click saying "I understand":

Quote:
Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services – however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 09-10-2015 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 05:17 PM

8,300 posts, read 13,432,374 times
Next time, use either:

www.duckduckgo.com

or

www.ixquick.com

Stop using IE, use Firefox with; Adblock plus, NoScript and Ghostery.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:48 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Next time, use either:

www.duckduckgo.com

or

www.ixquick.com

Stop using IE, use Firefox with; Adblock plus, NoScript and Ghostery.
Yes, thank you. They're not as private as you might think, but back to my questions. And what if you're using DDGo on Windows 10? Still feel safe?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:04 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Exclamation *

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte
I have read that Windows 10 is even more intrusive, so intrusive in fact that MS has become a virtual spy/reporting agency for the NSA/HS.
Yes what you have been reading is right!!!!

Ever since XP thier spying has been getting worse and worse......

Old 09-11-2015, 06:33 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times
It's called tracking and others do it. Neiman Marcus did it to me once. Every dress I'd stopped to read about at their site kept popping up on later sites. I've not returned to their site since. Not because I don't approve of their tracking - it's just done now - but because the results overpowered the pages I wanted to read. It was too much.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:27 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,114 times
From time to time I see my amazon searches don FB page.

My win 10 laptop is used to watch netflix and play media on my tv, so I have not considered increasing security there.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:29 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
The websites you are visiting are leaving cookies. It has nothing to do with Windows 10 or spying.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The websites you are visiting are leaving cookies. It has nothing to do with Windows 10 or spying.
True, I'm not using Windows 10. Did I post on a Windows 10 thread? Sorry. What I got was pretty much the same as what the OP got anyway. A person at our Neiman Marcus explained how they do this in tracking. It keeps us reminded of what we'd liked at their site. Only problem was that there were so many pictures that they hid what I was trying to read at another site.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:08 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
True, I'm not using Windows 10. Did I post on a Windows 10 thread? Sorry. What I got was pretty much the same as what the OP got anyway. A person at our Neiman Marcus explained how they do this in tracking. It keeps us reminded of what we'd liked at their site. Only problem was that there were so many pictures that they hid what I was trying to read at another site.

Tracking and displaying adds from sites you have visited, analyzing your purchases... Those are all very common and standard. These things are not intrusive. The site you are trying to read is sponsored by adds they display.

Pictures and advertisements that hide functionality, or demand money, or do not allow you to close the website. Those methods are intrusive and are considered malware. This is something that from time to time people need to clean up their computer.

I am using malware bytes and it tracks all signals, so when a website I am visiting does something intrusive. I get a pop-up, "Bull crap blocked" and it tells me what website is causing this.

Most of my malware attacks come from me following links on FB.

Like the last malware I had to clean up was Google search displaying advertisements instead of search results...

Old 09-11-2015, 09:16 AM

DPolo, what is FB? Firefox? As for Google searches, they seem to be going to the dogs. I seldom get what I ask for. Not even a hint of it. Bing comes closer but even it can falter. I do understand that they have to make their money and the ads - assuming they get clicks - do help but I'd surely like to find "Lindbergh High School, St Louis" instead of some school in Virginia that isn't even in "St Louis".

Guess I'll stop complaining. Thanks for your explanations. Wish I knew more but I'll never live long enough for that to happen. I do not understand computers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers