Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 09:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

I want to know if I can accomplish this setup--

I bought a new Toshiba laptop--not that top-line--has i-3 and 1T of storage--basically to have something to interface with ITunes with my IPhone and IPad--
but my account is on older desktop I have in my Texas home so I have to delete it from there before I can add it to laptop...

in mean time I want to know if I can set up my 3 email accounts--AOL, Gmail, Apple mail--on my laptop so that I can basically use it to save all old mail on laptop's hard drive and delete most of my saved/sent mail from my IPhone and IPad
my mail accounts are really hogging memory on those devices

I am basically clueless about how operating systems work and am not sure if what I want to do can be done the way I envision--
right now when I delete something on my Iphone or Ipad it is deleted on the other...
I would like to delete most of the folders in my 3 mail accounts on my phone and IPad and be able to have anything I delete available on my laptop---

Is that a possibility? How complicated would it be to make that arrangement?

this laptop has Windows 10 installed but I didn't buy any Office software--
my SIL was telling me that using Outlook--which I am not familiar with--I might be able to do what I want with my 3 mail accounts...

I set up my accounts on the laptop and the AOL mail is under "outlook" but not the gmail or cloud mail...
AOL was the first I set up here so maybe that is why it defaulted to Outlook...but my SIL doesn't think that is the REAL Outlook software...
I have no clue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 10:27 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
I bought a new Toshiba laptop--not that top-line--has i-3 and 1T of storage--basically to have something to interface with ITunes with my IPhone and IPad--
but my account is on older desktop I have in my Texas home so I have to delete it from there before I can add it to laptop...
This doesn't make sense. You have to delete which account from TX computer before you can use it on your current computer? The way you phrased your paragraph makes it sound like your have to delete either your iTunes library or your ITunes account from the TX computer, but iTunes let's you have ip to 5 computers authorized.

As for mail, there is probably a setting on the iPhone, but I would have to check. I don't think mine downloads mail, but I thought there was a setting that asked what to do with deleted mail I.e. Delete from device, delete from server, etc.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:24 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I want to know if I can accomplish this setup--

in mean time I want to know if I can set up my 3 email accounts--AOL, Gmail, Apple mail--on my laptop so that I can basically use it to save all old mail on laptop's hard drive and delete most of my saved/sent mail from my IPhone and IPad
my mail accounts are really hogging memory on those devices

I am basically clueless about how operating systems work and am not sure if what I want to do can be done the way I envision--
right now when I delete something on my Iphone or Ipad it is deleted on the other...
I would like to delete most of the folders in my 3 mail accounts on my phone and IPad and be able to have anything I delete available on my laptop---

this laptop has Windows 10 installed but I didn't buy any Office software--
my SIL was telling me that using Outlook--which I am not familiar with--I might be able to do what I want with my 3 mail accounts...

I set up my accounts on the laptop and the AOL mail is under "outlook" but not the gmail or cloud mail...
AOL was the first I set up here so maybe that is why it defaulted to Outlook...but my SIL doesn't think that is the REAL Outlook software...
I have no clue
I have gmail and AOL.

With gmail, I believe if you Archive an email it is downloaded to your device (such as your laptop). I've never used it, but here's a link about it ... Google (finally) lets you download your Gmail and Calendar data, here's how | PCWorld

Regarding AOL, do you use the AOL software or aol.com? I know with the AOL software you can choose to save emails to your device (PC, laptop). Once saved, emails can then be deleted from the "active" lists (sent, received) on your iPhone and iPad.

To feel confident that whatever process you choose does work, experiment with sending yourself some test emails. Read them on your handheld devices and on your Toshiba, then archive the gmails or save the AOL emails on your Toshiba, and then delete these emails from your handhelds. Go back to your Toshiba and confirm these test emails are still archived or saved.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:50 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Mail will never clog an iPhone or iPad. It doesn't download your entire mailbox. It only downloads a week or a month. If you scroll beyond that it loads it for you.
All mail is kept on the server.

You can have 50 mail accounts on one laptop if you want.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:21 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I have gmail and AOL.

With gmail, I believe if you Archive an email it is downloaded to your device (such as your laptop). I've never used it, but here's a link about it ... Google (finally) lets you download your Gmail and Calendar data, here's how | PCWorld
The archive button in Gmail does not download to your computer https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6576?hl=en

Old 10-22-2015, 02:53 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
I have a few computers and other devices, and multiple email accounts, including Yahoo and Gmail. I also have multiple email addresses. I have my systems set up so that any email I get is also forwarded to my Yahoo account. On that account, I have multiple folders set up for back-up/storage. And don't forget, if you have IPhone or IPad and an account with that account syncing to the Apple cloud, your mails will also be stored there. In short, it's a simple matter to store your emails. Nothing need stop clog up your computer.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:31 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
In theory easy. You are describing archiving your email onto your local computer. In layman's terms, you are moving them off your email folders in the cloud onto a folder on your computer. It is very important to have a data backup plan.

I have no idea what version of Outlook you have, but Thunderbird is a free email program.

Another way to do it is to create an addition gmail account and put it just on your computer. Drag all the messages from your other email accounts into this new gmail account. Over the years, it is very easy to accumulate gigs and gigs of email. So this might not be too feasible depending on the size of your email boxes.

Archive files kept on your computer can become corrupted and lost which is why a backup is important.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:59 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The archive button in Gmail does not download to your computer https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6576?hl=en
I guess I stand corrected! AOL is my primary email, so I don't know all the ins-n-outs of Gmail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Mail will never clog an iPhone or iPad. ...
In my case, with my iPad and AOL, yes mail does clog my iPad. The email associated with my iPad is an AOL account, but truthfully I rarely read my mail or send mail from my iPad unless I'm on it for a reason and want to forward something to someone. I usually use my desktop instead. It's there that I can download emails to my desktop to individual folders and then delete them on AOL.

Looking at my iPad's usage, photos take up the bulk of storage space, then it's emails, and then different apps and games. If I run out of space on the iPad, and that has happened that it's been clogged, I have to move photos over to my desktop and then use my desktop to download any emails I want to save before I start deleting emails to make space on the iPad. I cannot move things from the iPad to a cloud because my desktop cannot access the cloud - I've tried, doesn't work.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Thanks for the responses

I have lot of storage open in my Cloud account but I keep getting messages that my devices are almost full
and my mail account shows the largest amount

My husband has Iphone and Ipad--he doesn't use that--and a laptop=---
His laptop uses Carbonite for ongoing storage so it picks up any emails he might save--but I don't do anything that really merits paying for a service like that

I will try to find someone at a local storefront--not Best Buy--who can spend some time with me one on one--
And likely I could delete much of the info saved into folders in my mail accounts w/o skipping a beat--but you never know how badly you need something until you look for it and can't find it...

Old 10-25-2015, 12:08 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
How much is it actually taking up? I have 3 email accounts on my device and it's only taking up 17.4 MB.

Are you using IMAP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers