Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 140,468 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll do my best to give the most information I can about my problem.

I took my computer into a store to get it fixed since my memory sticks broke. They replaced them, reformated my hard drive, and reinstalled Windows XP and everything on my computer is working fine except my sound stoped working. My speakers are fine since my computer will still make beeping sounds at me. I just cant play music files on my computer through itunes, through the internet or anything else I have tried.

I ran a virus check and my computer comes up clean and I dont have or have ever had any program like limewire on my computer.

I figured out that my sound driver (Realtek AC'97 Audio) was "not digitally signed" so my mom sujested that I download a new driver off this website

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-AC97-Audio-Driver-401.shtml

I uninstalled my driver and installed the new one and now I dont even have the option of turning my volume up. When I click on my "volume contol" icon a window comes up that says "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click on Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This program will now close." I tried doing what it said but in the end the Add Hardware Wizard says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I tried to roll back my driver but it doesnt work.

To add to this when I look in Device Manager there is an ! next to Realtek AC'97 Audio.

I have a gateway MX6450 laptop comptuer.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 02:14 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,421,463 times
Go to the gateway site, find support and enter your laptop model, hopefully there will be a new audio driver for it. Or uninstall the new driver and reinstall the original from your disks.

If music still wont play, try right clicking your speaker in the menu bar, look for advanced and make sure there are no mute boxes checked or the sliders turned all the way down. Pay special attention to wav and cd.

good luck.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 140,468 times
Hi again,

I tried downloading the audio driver from the gateway site but when the installation was compleate it says "Failure." During the set up there was a number of files that my computer could not find. I cant use my volume control settings because it wont let me open it, even through the start menu. I also dont know where my installation disks are :/

Anymore sugestions?

Thanks

Old 02-02-2008, 05:09 PM

run it again, and make a note of the files it couldn't find. Then search for them on the hard drive and do a google search to see if they are windows files. You may need to repair windows if this is the case. Warning you may have to reinstll all the service packs when this happens.

Another solution is take it back to the repair shop and claim its under warrenty as the sound doesn't work and it seems to be a software issue.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:11 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,510,640 times
You should have a drivers disk that came with the PC (at least they used to send them). If the sound worked before then the drivers on this CD are the ones that were working. I'd install the drivers from the CD.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 AM

Curious, what version of OS are you using? XP or Vista? If XP is it service pack 2 or later?

Old 02-06-2008, 12:50 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,490,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookys15 View Post
Hi again,

I tried downloading the audio driver from the gateway site but when the installation was compleate it says "Failure." During the set up there was a number of files that my computer could not find. I cant use my volume control settings because it wont let me open it, even through the start menu. I also dont know where my installation disks are :/

Anymore sugestions?

Thanks
Grrrr.

I HATE Realtek AC97. I have had this issue on a work system.

Right Click My Computer > Manage
Select Device Manager in the folder tree
Your sound device will show with a yellow triangle next to it. Multimedia Audio Controller, RealTek, AC97 or something.

Select it, and then hit the delete key. Select yes when warned.

Restart your system. Windows should pop up with the driver install. Select:
No, not this time
Install from a list
And include the location of the zip file (after extracted) downloaded from this page:
Realtek
(zip file, NOT exe)

If that doesnt work, DM me since I don't monitor the forum much.

Btw, this is assuming you're using XP.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 57,064 times
hey what i did was go into the start menu, my programs, accessories, system tools then system restore. I reverted back before i deleted it. worked for me try it out!

Old 11-14-2009, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 53,294 times
Default Gateway MX6450 sound driver fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookys15 View Post
Hi,

I'll do my best to give the most information I can about my problem.

I took my computer into a store to get it fixed since my memory sticks broke. They replaced them, reformated my hard drive, and reinstalled Windows XP and everything on my computer is working fine except my sound stoped working. My speakers are fine since my computer will still make beeping sounds at me. I just cant play music files on my computer through itunes, through the internet or anything else I have tried.

I ran a virus check and my computer comes up clean and I dont have or have ever had any program like limewire on my computer.

I figured out that my sound driver (Realtek AC'97 Audio) was "not digitally signed" so my mom sujested that I download a new driver off this website

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/Realtek-AC97-Audio-Driver-401.shtml

I uninstalled my driver and installed the new one and now I dont even have the option of turning my volume up. When I click on my "volume contol" icon a window comes up that says "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click on Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This program will now close." I tried doing what it said but in the end the Add Hardware Wizard says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I tried to roll back my driver but it doesnt work.

To add to this when I look in Device Manager there is an ! next to Realtek AC'97 Audio.

I have a gateway MX6450 laptop comptuer.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks!
I realize this thread is old, but i had the same problem with the Gateway MX6450 sound driver D00377-002-001.The correct driver is as follows (D00377-002-002.exe - Gateway Conexant AC-Link Audio Driver version: 6.14.10.0575 ).The Gateway support site has the wrong driver listed for this model laptop and probably others.Here is the driver link that brought my sound back.You will notice the driver numbers are off by 1 digit ie; "002-002" instead of "002-001".Why Gateway support team isn't aware of this, IDK?

[url=http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=20819&dscr=Gateway%20Conexant%20AC-Link%20Audio%20Driver%20version:%206.14.10.0575]Gateway Conexant AC-Link Audio Driver version: 6.14.10.0575[/url]

Old 09-26-2010, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 41,265 times
hi guys ill try to see if you guys can help me i deleted the audio icon on the bottom right now i tried to download realtek ,dolby all kinds of stuff just to ge my speakers to start playing anything with audio in it but i dont know what else to do nothing works an i bought mine used soi have no disk so can you guys help me out thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers