Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 11:08 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
You are saying I HAVE TO wire the new printer to the computer at some point. Others say I might never have to.

When you say "access the printer settings from the computer" do you mean Control Panel > Printers?
Which printer brand and model are you referring to? Once you have that information, download and follow the installation instructions from the printer manufacturer. That is all there is to it. By the way, if you change the wireless network password, the wireless printer must again be added to the network.

Keep in mind that I am referring to a network printer, or printer that is shared throughout the network.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-12-2015 at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 01:20 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Are these hypothetical questions or do you really have a printer you want to set up?
If so, what is the printer model? What does the user manual say?
I'm just trying to learn it in general. My friend bought a Canon and I'm not sure which one.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:18 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I'm just trying to learn it in general. My friend bought a Canon and I'm not sure which one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzjz5K4O33M

Old 01-15-2016, 12:52 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times
This question is about the printer drivers for a wifi printer.

You install the printer drivers onto the desktop computer which is wired to the printer.

But if the desktop computer is no longer connected to the printer, how does the printer still work - doesn't it have to access the printer driver files?

In general, does a printer access the printer drivers everytime it prints something, or is it just every time you turn on the printer?

Old 01-15-2016, 01:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Just because the printer isn't physically wired to the computer doesn't mean the computer can't communicate with the printer. The printer drivers are on the computer. Via wi-fi, the computer tells the printer what to do.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:19 PM

21 posts, read 41,775 times
There are several ways to set it up. One is WPS which does not need to have computer and printer connected temporarily. The second is temporarily connecting via USB. This describes Hp printers Connecting your HP wireless printer | Wireless Printing Center | HP® Official Site. Once on the network all devices connected to the network should be able to find the printer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers