Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 PM

47 posts, read 111,750 times

Advertisements

I have an old COMPAQ laptop that I need to wipe clean with all my personal information on it and then recycle or throw away. Is there a business or company or something that could do this for me? I am computer illiterate and will need MAJOR ASSISTANCE in accomplishing this if I were to do it on my own, thus needing and wanting a trusted professional to do it. Thanks in advance and much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:09 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
If you want to tackle it yourself dban Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing will securely wipe the hard drive, although it's much easier just to pull the hard drive out and store it or destroy it before disposing of the computer.

If you're not capable of doing that then find a local shop and pay them to do it for you.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Use Dban as already suggested. Couple of other steps you can take... Remove the drive from the machine and place it or parts of it in a nontransparent bag for disposal like a potato chip bag. Physically destroy the platters, most people suggest drilling through it however there is only going to be a few screws holding the drive together. Take it apart, the discs you find inside hold the data. I just put them on the belt sander for a seconds. Dispose of the pieces piecemeal in non transparent bags.

Personally I wouldn't hand anything over to someone else unless they had an industrial shredder and I got to watch it get shredded.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:55 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Be nice if we knew where you lived. Why don't people use that location field?!?

Old 12-22-2015, 09:34 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
Turn over the laptop and take out the hard drive, you can look up your make and model along with the words remove hard drive and you should find youtubes like the ones below showing how to take out the hard drive, then put it on a concrete floor and smash it with a hammer and drill holes in it if you can, then give the laptop without the hard drive to a store like Staples for disposal.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20hard%20drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DUYM3NTAy4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qle1T_6ThKc

Old 12-24-2015, 12:31 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
Just throw it in the trash. I'm SURE all of your personal information is all over the internet anyway, just like all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers