Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:43 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You can run XP....and I do. With no problems whatsoever.
Windows XP is still available and the choice is yours.
What are the vulnerabilities of XP if security updates ended in April 2014?
We have Vista and their support ends in April 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 12:00 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
What are the vulnerabilities of XP if security updates ended in April 2014?
We have Vista and their support ends in April 2017.
Most people answering this question would post link after two-year-old link describing scenarios where hackers were rubbing their hands together in anticipation of destroying your computer - and your life - on April 15 because your "unsupported" XP computer became a sitting duck and ripe for "exploitation".

I'm not going to do that because I have known for 10 years that the nonsense of that sort which floods the tech media prior to each new Microsoft OS release is purely marketing hype. "Support" or not makes zero difference to wise users with the discipline to follow safe computing rules and practices to the letter.

I have been online every day since 1997, starting out with Windows 95, then moving to Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 Professional, and finally to XP in late 2013. Never once in all that time have I been "hacked" or "attacked" or have I experienced any problem whatsoever from online computing. And, for the last 10+ years, I am online for many hours each day. Not only that, but I ran Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 Professional, and now XP for lengthy periods of time "unsupported". For a wise and disciplined user, "supported" or not doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Except....that running "unsupported" does occasionally protect you from the havoc wreaked on systems by the Microsoft updates that break more than they fix. (See references I posted earlier)

19 years of completely trouble-free personal experience is proof enough for me and trumps any and all fear-mongering published ad nauseum by techie wannabe kids trying to show each other how "cool" they are.

So my short answer to your question is none. None worth talking about or thinking about, for users wise enough to rely on the only effective computer security that exists....between your ears.

The only XP issue worth consideration when looking down the road is the question of how much longer the major developers like Mozilla will allow their new version updates to run on it. Personally, that's a bridge I'll cross if/when I have to and not before.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:34 PM

We have Vista and use Firefox but sports videos have started to not play properly and recently we got a popup that FF no longer supported DRM software that has been around for 15+ years we are told. So there are compatibility issues between some new and frequently updated browsers and Vista and others. Even Adobe Shock Wave crashes on us alot.
We had to stop using IE 9.0 a year ago (can not use IE 10.0 for Vista) because it became a browser that just would not work any longer. We use it for one website only because we have to on that specific website.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:04 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
We have Vista and use Firefox but sports videos have started to not play properly and recently we got a popup that FF no longer supported DRM software that has been around for 15+ years we are told. So there are compatibility issues between some new and frequently updated browsers and Vista and others. Even Adobe Shock Wave crashes on us alot.
We had to stop using IE 9.0 a year ago (can not use IE 10.0 for Vista) because it became a browser that just would not work any longer. We use it for one website only because we have to on that specific website.
I run Firefox 43.0.3 on XP and have had no problems or popups of that sort....or any other sort. Trouble free day in and day out.

I keep reading about all these issues people are having with these "new and improved" OSs and that only strengthens my resolve to not get caught up in it. If you liked XP, I would go back to it.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Most people answering this question would post link after two-year-old link describing scenarios where hackers were rubbing their hands together in anticipation of destroying your computer - and your life - on April 15 because your "unsupported" XP computer became a sitting duck and ripe for "exploitation".

I'm not going to do that because I have known for 10 years that the nonsense of that sort which floods the tech media prior to each new Microsoft OS release is purely marketing hype. "Support" or not makes zero difference to wise users with the discipline to follow safe computing rules and practices to the letter.

I have been online every day since 1997, starting out with Windows 95, then moving to Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 Professional, and finally to XP in late 2013. Never once in all that time have I been "hacked" or "attacked" or have I experienced any problem whatsoever from online computing. And, for the last 10+ years, I am online for many hours each day. Not only that, but I ran Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 Professional, and now XP for lengthy periods of time "unsupported". For a wise and disciplined user, "supported" or not doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Except....that running "unsupported" does occasionally protect you from the havoc wreaked on systems by the Microsoft updates that break more than they fix. (See references I posted earlier)

19 years of completely trouble-free personal experience is proof enough for me and trumps any and all fear-mongering published ad nauseum by techie wannabe kids trying to show each other how "cool" they are.

So my short answer to your question is none. None worth talking about or thinking about, for users wise enough to rely on the only effective computer security that exists....between your ears.

The only XP issue worth consideration when looking down the road is the question of how much longer the major developers like Mozilla will allow their new version updates to run on it. Personally, that's a bridge I'll cross if/when I have to and not before.
The key to the entire argument in a partial sentence.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Quote:

Well I'd assume its just a matter of time before most things stop working on XP, because of a lack of desire by developers.

For the vast majority of people, using XP is a horrible idea. For a about half of people in the world, using any computer is too, but I digress.

Using newer operating systems with newer antimalware updates, with supported browsers like Chrome; sandboxed environments, is just safer on the average.

You're not going to fix stupid, but you can limit the fallout.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:25 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
I keep reading about all these issues people are having with these "new and improved" OSs and that only strengthens my resolve to not get caught up in it. If you liked XP, I would go back to it.
However your whole attitude that you are somehow smarter then everyone else because you don't fall for the "hype and fear mongering..." is kind of sad, IMO. You are, quite frankly, missing out.
A majority of people switch to newer OS'es...because they LIKE new software. They like the improvements these things bring.
Not because they've been SCARED into it. In fact, I doubt many people dumped XP out of fear of getting hacked...

Old 01-06-2016, 02:34 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
We liked XP. Current system has Vista.
What are all the similarities and differences between XP and 10?

We will get a couple new systems and were told if we want Windows 7 which many people liked that we better get it now or it will no longer be available on new systems in the coming months.
VISTA??? Holy crap. That is the worst OS they ever put out, hands down. I bought both my laptop and PC a few years ago when 8 was overtaking 7, because I couldn't stand 8. 10 however, is a different story. I'm looking forward to getting my next machine with that on it. Go with 10. You'll be over the moon with it, compared to Vista.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:00 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
However your whole attitude that you are somehow smarter then everyone else because you don't fall for the "hype and fear mongering..." is kind of sad, IMO. You are, quite frankly, missing out.
A majority of people switch to newer OS'es...because they LIKE new software. They like the improvements these things bring.
Not because they've been SCARED into it. In fact, I doubt many people dumped XP out of fear of getting hacked...
I wouldn't say newer software automatically brings about improvements. I've known a lot of software out there that got worse as they went along. People ultimately like what works, and sometimes newer just doesn't work for them.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:20 PM

I can post a link to a video. Then everyone using Firexox and Windows Vista or XP can play it. No cheating. If it plays fine then ok but if it plays poorly please report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
VISTA??? Holy crap. That is the worst OS they ever put out, hands down. I bought both my laptop and PC a few years ago when 8 was overtaking 7, because I couldn't stand 8. 10 however, is a different story. I'm looking forward to getting my next machine with that on it. Go with 10. You'll be over the moon with it, compared to Vista.
It was a gift so we used it. We liked XP of course but have used Vista so long it is fine with us. The hardest part was where to find things like the control panel. Now we do not want to trade it in for 7 or 8 or 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers