Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 01:28 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,743,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Yes, Microsoft admitted it not only logs its users time on Windows 10 but also their time using Microsoft Edge… and gaming… and streaming games… and counting your search queries… and every single time a user opens a photo.

Understandably perturbed by this BetaNews took Microsoft to task on these revelations and asked if it would like to “explain how it came about the information, and why it is being collected in the first place”. Microsoft’s official response: “Thank you for your patience as I looked into this for you. Unfortunately my colleagues cannot provide a comment regarding your request. All we have to share is this Windows blog post.”

To which BetaNews makes a very fair conclusion: “Microsoft’s spying is intrusive enough to reveal how long you have been using Windows 10, but the company is not willing to be open about the collection of this data.”

Consequently the next obvious point to ponder is: If Microsoft is happy to disclose this data without saying how it was attained, what else does it access and track without user knowledge? Given Microsoft already admits much of its automatic spying cannot to turned off, just how many more metrics and how much user data is it gathering from every Windows 10 device? [more]
Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...crets-revealed (Be careful going here,I have read FORBES is sending crap to people who visit it but thats where the article is,I tried to find it elsewhere!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 AM

16,486 posts, read 19,538,931 times
Forbes does not send CRAP to people...whatever that means....

Please show me where you read that.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 AM

450 posts, read 591,994 times
Love your post. Forbes indeed sends nasty things to folks who block their ads and cookies, as does Fox, CNN and NBC to name a few.
I have a computer that is used exclusively to play an online game called Lord of the Rings Online in full screen mode. Last summer I found that Windows 10 had been downloaded to my machine without my knowledge. I deleted it and found a utility called GWX Control panel that allowed me to stop automatic updates and downloads. I used it when first booting up in the morning. Then late last year Windows 10 changed my settings back every four to five hours. Without my permission or knowledge. Since my game is full screen it crashed to desktop every time Win 10 "hacked" my computer. I paid good money for a legitimate copy of Windows 8.1 and own it so I felt violated by Microsoft's actions. Emails and certified letters to them soon revealed that their customers would be forced to accept the upgrade whether they wanted it or not. "It's our business plan" , they replied.
So, I finally gave in and did the upgrade so I could use my computer in peace. Immediately, my game wouldn't start, several utilities such as Speccy, WinPatrol and my paid antivirus had been deleted and I was broadcasting much personal info to Microsoft's servers. It took me a whole day to get things functioning again, including new Radeon drivers from AMD. So what's it like? Honestly I can't see anything different. Boot time is the same, graphics are slightly more vivid and I get the feeling that "big brother is watching me".
No sense telling folks to skip the upgrade. They will bug you so much you'll finally cave in and do it.
As George Orwell said, "big brother is watching you." (Didn't know I had a blg brother named Microsoft".

Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 AM

450 posts, read 591,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Please go to Geek dot com and scroll down a bit. Forbes did indeed drop malware on those who blocks it's ads.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:29 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,642,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren View Post
Please go to Geek dot com and scroll down a bit. Forbes did indeed drop malware on those who blocks it's ads.
The ad network served infected ads to those stupid enough to disable their blockers, Forbes didn't intentionally give malware to people that kept the blockers on.

Last edited by Skunk Workz; 01-11-2016 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-11-2016, 11:55 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,911,143 times
Quote:
Love your post. Forbes indeed sends nasty things to folks who block their ads and cookies, as does Fox, CNN and NBC to name a few.
I have a computer that is used exclusively to play an online game called Lord of the Rings Online in full screen mode. Last summer I found that Windows 10 had been downloaded to my machine without my knowledge...
So Forbes installed Windows 10 on your computer?

Quote:
Provide a link, I saw nothing about this on the Geek site.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:17 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,642,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Provide a link, I saw nothing about this on the Geek site.
You say advertising, I say block that malware

As I already noted, Forbes didn't actually do anything (other than block content for adblock users). It was the ad network that served the pop-under.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
You say advertising, I say block that malware

As I already noted, Forbes didn't actually do anything (other than block content for adblock users). It was the ad network that served the pop-under.
No arguments from me, common practice for hijacked ad networks to serve malware.

I was just trying to find the article that Worren claimed said they sent you malware if you used an ad blocker.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:55 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,743,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine

www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,30519192

Old 01-11-2016, 04:51 PM

Again, it was a 3rd party ad network that was the source of the infection, Forbes has no control over it, which is why I consider online advertising a security risk, rather than just an annoyance. I won't visit any site that blocks ad blockers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers