Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
But really, I would usually advise building your own PC,
It's not that difficult but I would certainly agree for low end computers. The cost benefit of building it yourself is greatly diminished on the low end and may not even be present at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 01:33 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
Buiding a low end PC has never really been cost effective. I looked into it each time I bought a PC, in 95, 99, 2005 and 2012. Each time I was able to buy a PC for equal to or less than the parts would cost. And thats not counting the cost of Windows itself. I did have to do some serious shopping around though, and take advantage of deals such as Black Friday sales.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:49 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
How does a person decide whether to buy a Microsoft-based desk top computer or an Apple desk top computer? What points do you consider when trying to decide? I am going in circles but this has to be done and soon. Thank you.
What do you want it for? Work? gaming? What software do you use? What's your budget? Does design matter to you? How much does customer support matter? Are you a tinkerer?

Old 01-26-2016, 02:57 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,831 times
Why has no one mentioned the mac mini? It is a decent budget option, provided you don't want to tinker wth the hardware.

Also it's very rare for macs to get a virus, i've been using them since 1997 and never had one. I've had numerous pc viruses however.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
I am not planning on buying a laptop. I am planning on buying a desk top. And, no, I do not do any business on it. Email and some searching for answers occasionally. A couple of forums. That's it. Right now, I just want to make some comparisons between the two OS's.
Based on what I bolded, you want a PC.

Now if cost is a factor, then here is a direction to go to save money:

Go to Staples.com and print off the $100 off coupon(In-Store Coupon Code: 98122):
Staples Coupons | Staples.com®

Call stores for the following item numbers (these are demo units, so you may have to contact a few stores). Both of these computers have the screen and computer built into one unit:

1148371 Demo HP 23-G116. It will be 149.50 after coupon is applied.
1148372 Demo HP 21-H116. It will be 199.50 after coupon is applied.

These links describe the units. The item numbers are different as these are the retail versions:
HP Pavilion 23-Inch All-in-One Desktop Computer (23-g116) | Staples®
HP Pavilion 21-Inch TouchSmart Desktop Computer (23-h116) | Staples®

Have the store restore the unit which will remove it from demo mode and send it Win8.1 retail mode. Then have them do the free upgrade to Win10. Buy a Internet Security program, have them load it if needed. Take it home, plug it in and you're ready to go.

Since you didn't address internet connectivity, I'll assume you know how to do that.

If you need a printer, Staples has one on Clearance and should have a few in stock. Get 20% off coupon from link above (Free Bag Code: 42446, Discount Code: 68570):

215480 HP 4630 (wireless); $36.40 after coupon. Sorry, no link.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm impressed with the range and thoughtfulness of the responses.

Good job everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
PCs get infected constantly
Viral infections are not a problem with Apple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL, see the next post.
I apologize for jinxing the thread.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:40 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
How does a person decide whether to buy a Microsoft-based desk top computer or an Apple desk top computer? What points do you consider when trying to decide? I am going in circles but this has to be done and soon. Thank you.
It is better to buy the lowest price Mac desktop or laptop, than any Windows/PC because it all comes with the same level of AppleCare support which is great, and they have Apple Stores all over the place if you need them.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
It is better to buy the lowest price Mac desktop or laptop, than any Windows/PC because it all comes with the same level of AppleCare support which is great, and they have Apple Stores all over the place if you need them.
For the same price you can get a ThinkPad with @home service where they come to your house to help. Frankly, IBM has top not support. So, no, it's not always better to buy a mac than any windows pc.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:39 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbest View Post
for the same price you can get a thinkpad with @home service where they come to your house to help. Frankly, ibm has top not support. So, no, it's not always better to buy a mac than any windows pc.
I never thought about it but I figured support was coming from Lenovo, but I guess they could sub it out to IBM.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:45 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
For the same price you can get a ThinkPad with @home service where they come to your house to help. Frankly, IBM has top not support. So, no, it's not always better to buy a mac than any windows pc.
I've had AppleCare come to my home to repair a computer to replace a second drive which had a problem. But with a Windows/PC, you aren't getting the benefit of the Mac OS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers