Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:00 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Yes, I used information posted by NHDave on this forum to stop Windows 10 Update from downloading on my computer months ago. Ever since then, I get error notices that gwxux.exe (Windows 10 Update) has crashed and I always smile a little and thank NHDave.
NHDave is known to pass around confusing, incomplete and even incorrect information all the time. I think he gets off on causing computer related hell to computer illiterate users.

OK, the above was obviously a joke. It is actually I who does all that and more!

Anyhow, on a more serious note:

- Any error message in regards to an application/program/service crashing during startup or logon means that that particular application/program/service was configured to auto start with Windows, at least for that user. So, in other words, you never truly uninstalled and gotten rid of that thing in the first place.

To properly remove GWX nonsense, please see this thread. There are couple of different effective freewares mentioned there.

Windows Image Acquisition service doesn't quite relate to printers unless the printer in question has scanning function. It is mainly used by scanner and digital cameras but smart phones with cameras can call that service too. An improperly disconnected such device could leave the service or any other utilized process hanging or even worse, corrupt. There is a good chance a Windows update might have broken it too.

Well, it seems like system restore resolved your issue so I guess it no longer is a concern.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 06:14 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
Thanks so much, TurcoLoco. Yes, System Restore did solve my problem. I had deactivated WIA and, of course, my CPU usage went down right away -- but I didnt like that resolution since it didnt address whatever the problem had been. I never did figure out why WIA started drawing so much usage, but at least it's fixed now. And the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit issue was resolved with System Restore as well.

I'll check out the DWX link. Thanks again!!

Old 02-03-2016, 05:00 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,982,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
NHDave is known to pass around confusing, incomplete and even incorrect information all the time. I think he gets off on causing computer related hell to computer illiterate users.

OK, the above was obviously a joke. It is actually I who does all that and more!
Ok, who rated me out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers