Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 02:05 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Dell Laptops | Notebooks and Laptops for Sale | Staples®

Can some knowledgeable person please give me an opinion on this Dell Inspiron that's currently on sale at Staples? My current laptop is dying and I need something else right away with not much money to spend.

I looked at it and it seemed nice but I have no experience with Dell and I can't find too many reviews.

Usage would be email, facebook, genealogy on Ancestry.com, lots of googling, reading on city data and other forums, selling on ebay.

Also, they explained to me that new computers don't come with word processing or graphics anymore. Now you have to buy that extra. So that will be my next question as I definitely need to edit photographs for selling on ebay and just for personal photography.

Do you think this laptop is a good deal for the price? (It's the second one down, $329 on sale.)
Great price for what you need. i3, 6GB, 1TB, and pretty good battery will make a great web laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 02:10 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Delloutlet.com

Get an extended warranty - you can't go wrong.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:25 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Delloutlet.com

Get an extended warranty - you can't go wrong.

All I see at that site are Limited Warrantees. Can you elaborate?

I am having some software for word processing and maybe some others installed on the new Dell. Will that invalidate a warranty?

Old 02-20-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
All I see at that site are Limited Warrantees. Can you elaborate?

I am having some software for word processing and maybe some others installed on the new Dell. Will that invalidate a warranty?
The only way you usually void warranty is if you open up the PC and break things in the process, but doing things like extra Memory wont void it, but in your case 6GB will be good enough.
The only time the PC might might drag a little is when your antivirus software is doing a update or scan, then you will notice it until the scan or update is done. I have a Dell 15R from 2010 with i3,6GB Ram,and 500GB HDD, so I know those models perform.

Adding MS Office or evena free program like Open Office for free will not void any warranty, as PC's are designed to have programs installed on them.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:13 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,582 times
id'e buy the ASUS over the HELL computer!! dell's support sucks and there programmed to read from a script!! as well there tech support is from the philippines and they can't undeerstand english that well. and they only support there hardware and not the software but they will try and sell you a different packages to cover the software support complete bull**** it should be included!! dell give you a 1 year of phone support unless you want to fork out some $$$ for a longer term. asus mahines come with free lifetime support of the machine and there reps can understand americans!! dell sucks now there not what they USED to be. i have a 5 year old asus laptop and i can still call there tech support at no charge and get help with my laptop at no charge **** dell

Old 02-21-2016, 08:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Considering the literacy rating for the previous post I would recommend buying anything they don't like.

And I second Irfanview.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground_pounder View Post
id'e buy the ASUS over the HELL computer!! dell's support sucks and there programmed to read from a script!! as well there tech support is from the philippines and they can't undeerstand english that well. and they only support there hardware and not the software but they will try and sell you a different packages to cover the software support complete bull**** it should be included!! dell give you a 1 year of phone support unless you want to fork out some $$$ for a longer term. asus mahines come with free lifetime support of the machine and there reps can understand americans!! dell sucks now there not what they USED to be. i have a 5 year old asus laptop and i can still call there tech support at no charge and get help with my laptop at no charge **** dell
Honestly ALL PC makers support hardware only. The only software they are responsible for is their own branded add-on like the software to update the drivers for the PC makers or their own branded software for stuff like finger print readers, web cams, extra storage, hot key and even their own brandded software, the main responsibility, wifi management, etc...and for them to make sure it installs and loads with no errors. As for how to use it, they see that as a read the manual for yourself scenario, as they cant sit and babysit or teach PC lessons over the phone, which I do agree as it backs up the phone lines.

But stuff like people having problems with outlook, cant configure their email, Microsoft word, you internet explorer problems, its nots (DELL, HP, LENOVO, etc) responsibility to make sure that works and most of the time they will tell you to reload the software, or pay Microsoft for support. As for dell selling software support, I cant image their agents on the consumer side being very knowledge on that and expect a 30min to 1 hour call for a problem.

I just bought a ASUS last week, so I hop ethey are as great as you say, even though I dont need support unless things break.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:39 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
cant even understand why so many people call customer support. these are brand new and they should work as long as you know how to operate it.

I once had a conversation with a sales person from Best Buy about those 2nd hand items they are selling. he told me that most of the time, the customers just return it if they don't know how to assemble or operate.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
cant even understand why so many people call customer support. these are brand new and they should work as long as you know how to operate it.

I once had a conversation with a sales person from Best Buy about those 2nd hand items they are selling. he told me that most of the time, the customers just return it if they don't know how to assemble or operate.

You should have seen when Windows 8 came out, the amount of people calling tech support to return their PC's was insane.

But in all the years I did laptop and desk top support, the top 7 types of calls were:

I cant connect to the internet, wifi usually
I cant configure outlook or get my email to work
I cant get my printer to work with this PC
I forgot my password
I cant burn a CD or play a DVD
Why isnt Microsoft Office free
I need a windows retail CD to fix this bluescreen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers