Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:18 AM

16,503 posts, read 19,575,896 times

Advertisements

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-SuperSp.../dp/B005YR1PV2

You could also get one of those. Very handy. You just connect one USB cable to your laptop and *bam* = Desktop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 04:23 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,397,738 times
I appreciate the additional recommendations. I particularly appreciate the practical suggestions of propping up the computer and using a fan to prevent overheating. It seems like you do want to think about quite a few variables to have this system work well.

Peregrine, is that link essentially to a kind of "power strip" where you keep everything you need plugged in to the Targus station to just make it more straightforward to connect your laptop? Or is there something else essential it includes that makes it more useful than just having the requisite cables?

Old 02-25-2016, 01:53 PM

16,503 posts, read 19,575,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I appreciate the additional recommendations. I particularly appreciate the practical suggestions of propping up the computer and using a fan to prevent overheating. It seems like you do want to think about quite a few variables to have this system work well.
You do not need a cooling fan. No offense to the guy that suggested it, but that is seriously overkill and not needed.

Quote:
Peregrine, is that link essentially to a kind of "power strip" where you keep everything you need plugged in to the Targus station to just make it more straightforward to connect your laptop? Or is there something else essential it includes that makes it more useful than just having the requisite cables?
The first part. So anytime you want to dock you just connect one USB cable. Not 1) the mouse 2) the keyboard 3) the monitor. It's less wear and tear on your ports, as well. More for offices but not a bad purchase for home either.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:11 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,257,490 times
I'm not really a Mac person, but I do have a Macbook Air and would recommend buying the refurbished one to save a bit of money.

Refurbished MacBook Air - Apple Certified MacBook Air Notebook Computers - Apple

You would need an adapter however to connect an external monitor.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I'm not really a Mac person, but I do have a Macbook Air and would recommend buying the refurbished one to save a bit of money.

Refurbished MacBook Air - Apple Certified MacBook Air Notebook Computers - Apple

You would need an adapter however to connect an external monitor.
Thanks for the suggestion. The last laptop I bought was also refurbished.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:47 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,272,609 times
i connect my laptop to our tv via hdmi..

Old 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
i connect my laptop to our tv via hdmi..
Yeah, that can work, but the layout for where I have my TV isn't very conducive to a home office/desk.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:50 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,819,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Targus-SuperSp.../dp/B005YR1PV2

You could also get one of those. Very handy. You just connect one USB cable to your laptop and *bam* = Desktop.
It even creates the *space* underneath the laptop to get the heat out ... !!

But ... a wee bit over 100 green ones ?
Dang that is about 1/3 of a cheepy laptop ...

Not really that hard to make a wedge and then just plug in the required connectors, or ?

Old 02-27-2016, 02:05 PM

6,569 posts, read 11,233,872 times
Do you need two computers? or will a laptop with a larger monitor work at home?

You can use a docking station, or even a wireless display adapter. I have a henge dock vertical docking station for my Macbook pro. I also have a surface book I use when traveling and in meetings. I carry around a Microsoft wireless display adaptor, turning any LCD TV in the hotel room into my 2nd monitor.

And if the TV's are WiDI capable, you won't even need the adapto

Old 02-27-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Do you need two computers? or will a laptop with a larger monitor work at home?

You can use a docking station, or even a wireless display adapter. I have a henge dock vertical docking station for my Macbook pro. I also have a surface book I use when traveling and in meetings. I carry around a Microsoft wireless display adaptor, turning any LCD TV in the hotel room into my 2nd monitor.

And if the TV's are WiDI capable, you won't even need the adapto

No, I definitely don't want to pay for two computers. My current computer (laptop) is dying. My next computer still needs to be a laptop (need a lighter one though), but I just want to attach a bigger monitor at home as you suggest.

So I'll have to look up the various things you describe, as they do sound interesting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers