Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:34 AM

304 posts, read 397,130 times

Advertisements

Hi Group,

I just purchased a NEW (!) laptop to replace my war-weary 2004 Gateway XP machine.

I bought an HP Envy 17t i7 6700 Quad Core w/ a 512 SSD and 16GB DDR3L RAM.
It should be a little 'Ferrari'.

This machine can accept two HDD's, and I'm looking for a good HDD.

I'd like either a 2 or 3 TB HDD of good speed & quality.
I believe they can 'spin' at RPM for faster data read.

What recommendations can you give me, for a good, quality one?

I'd like to try to not spend too much on it, but I still want a good one.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, from the experts on this great Forum!

Thanks to All,

Irv in Connecticut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:36 AM

304 posts, read 397,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
Hi Group,

I just purchased a NEW (!) laptop to replace my war-weary 2004 Gateway XP machine.

I bought an HP Envy 17t i7 6700 Quad Core w/ a 512 SSD and 16GB DDR3L RAM.
It should be a little 'Ferrari'.

This machine can accept two HDD's, and I'm looking for a good HDD.

I'd like either a 2 or 3 TB HDD of good speed & quality.
I believe they can 'spin' at 7200 RPM for faster data read.

What recommendations can you give me, for a good, quality one?

I'd like to try to not spend too much on it, but I still want a good one.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, from the experts on this great Forum!

Thanks to All,

Irv in Connecticut
WHOOPS! I forgot to include the RPM's...

...irv...

Old 03-07-2016, 12:42 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Western Digital "Black" is tops in my opinion. Their "Blue" line is good as well with not quite the same performance. They may be a little more than other brands but are very reliable and come with a 5 yr warranty.

WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD1003FZEX - Newegg.com

Now a days you may want to look into an SSD. They are way faster than a regular hard drive or a hybrid drive which is a combination of bot.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:54 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
gguerra pretty much covered it. I would get an SSD and move the operating system to that, it will far outperform any hard drive you can use, and use your original drive as extra storage if you need it.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:56 PM

82 posts, read 138,530 times
Hard Drives spin at a fixed rate. This usually means either 7200rpm or 5400rpm. Drives that spin at a faster rpm usually have a higher data transfer rate. Faster spinning drives also use more power. This is something to keep in mind in a laptop if you are concerned about battery life.

Your 512GB SSD should be plenty of space for your OS and all your apps. Which begs the question of why do you need more storage space? If you need more space for apps, for example you have a large game library you wish to have installed, then a 7200rpm drive would be desirable. But if all you plan to use the hard drive for is mp3's and movie storage then a 5400rpm drive is preferable. Just to put that in perspective a 5400rpm hard drive is more then 20 times faster then what a blu ray movie needs for playback. All a 7200rpm drive will do is drain your battery faster when watching a movie.

As far as I know the largest internal 2.5" laptop drive you can get is 2TB and they all are 5400rpm drives.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:00 PM

82 posts, read 138,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Western Digital "Black" is tops in my opinion. Their "Blue" line is good as well with not quite the same performance. They may be a little more than other brands but are very reliable and come with a 5 yr warranty.

WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD1003FZEX - Newegg.com

Now a days you may want to look into an SSD. They are way faster than a regular hard drive or a hybrid drive which is a combination of bot.
That's a very good hard drive, but it's for a desktop, and would not work inside a laptop.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
^^^ Did not realize he was asking about a laptop. The OP mentioned it would accept two hard drives and I automatically assumed it was a desktop. I certainly do not have every brand/model computer memorized and did not look it up. I stand corrected on the model but the brand is certainly one of the best. I personally would not install more than he already has (512gb SSD) in one laptop. The power and heat issues would determine that. I would go for an external if you need just more storage.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:40 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,344 times
I would go with an SSD drive there faster and use less power and can with stand vibrations better than a HDD

Old 03-11-2016, 09:56 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Note that you can - although they are spendy at the moment - get a 2TB SSD.

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 2 TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E2T0B/AM - Newegg.com

Old 03-11-2016, 05:27 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^^ Did not realize he was asking about a laptop. The OP mentioned it would accept two hard drives and I automatically assumed it was a desktop. I certainly do not have every brand/model computer memorized and did not look it up. I stand corrected on the model but the brand is certainly one of the best. I personally would not install more than he already has (512gb SSD) in one laptop. The power and heat issues would determine that. I would go for an external if you need just more storage.
The 8th word his question message was "laptop".

Do SSD's make more heat than hard drives? Which is more reliable over the long run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers