Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 05:33 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

The MacBook talked above was offered by Apple as a wireless one, thus the lack of USB ports, but there are numerous wireless components, from drives to USB hubs, readily available. That said, like a lot of others in this forum, I would not spend my money on that MacBook, since the MacBook Air and the Pro, have from 1 to 3 USB-3 ports (my wife's MacBook Air has one USB-3 port). For some reason she has a difficult problem (too bright or something) with the retina display, and prefers the regular display of the older iPad, or the one on her MacBook Air.

Since I spend cash on "men toys," I decided to buy a MacBook Air with the i7 processor, and maxed-out with RAM. It's only money, and I am not going to take it with my to the grave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 08:00 AM

38 posts, read 25,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
Yes, the current iteration of the Air has all those ports, I am thinking the next version won't.
If you want to next version you can wait. When come the version it's must be a update & latest version. So you wait for that.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:46 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The Macbook has zero standard USB ports. It has one USB Type-C port which does everything. A) That's a pain because very few people have USB Type-C peripherals yet so that means dongles. Eventually that will become less of a problem as more peripherals switch over to USB Type-C. Eg, you can buy flipable flash drives which will work in a standard USB port or a USB Type-C port but they're not what most people have. You'll either need to specifically use your flippable flash drive or get out your dongle. All my peripherals are standard USB. Can't even really get portable scanners or printers with USB Type C. Dongles. I hate dongles. Give me a standard USB port.

Bigger issue is it has just one USB Type-C port that does everything. As I said, I regularly connect USB input peripherals on a daily basis. Dongle time while annoying works only as long as I don't need to charge the thing. As soon as I do, no more dongle time. Gotta unplug to charge.

Not having a standard USB port is one type of stupid that will gradually over the next few years become less of a hassle as things switch over to USB Type-C. Having only one port period which doubles as your charge port won't gradually become less stupid. It'll be just as stupid in five years if/when Type-C has become the norm. Personally, I'd never buy a laptop with anything less than two USB ports, and those need to be available ports and not combo charging ports.
This is wrong. I have a Macbook and it does, indeed, have a single STANDARD USB Port. It's the same USB Port used on my phone (Nexus 5x), on my tablet (ipad pro) , and on my external SSD. What it does NOT have is the older clunky USB ports.

The only issue is that it only has one of these ports and is perhaps one of the reasons why I use my Macbook Pro most of the time. The problem with the Macbook pro is it uses the old large clunky ports. Not so much of a problem yet, but it will be a bigger one down the road. I hope Apple fixes this with the newer gen Macbook Pros.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
I have an older 11" Macbook Air that I'd like to replace with a 13" Air. Sounds like there will be new versions of the entire MB line coming out this summer. I'm debating holding off my purchase until the new models come out, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it. I am also worried that they are going to do to the Air's what they did to the 12" Macbook, and just put one USB-C port on it. When I am home, I use my current air as my desktop, and I plug it into an external monitor. I'm not sure how I'd be able to do that and charge my laptop at the same time. Plus I have lots of stuff that has standard USB plugs that I will need to be able to still use. So should I get a new Air now, before the new ones are announced, and there is a rush on the old models cause there are lots of people like me that don't want to lose functionality, or wait?
USB hubs are cheap and it helps avoid the overall concern if there is enough power being supplied to the USB devices. I would also look into getting a third-party docking station.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This is wrong. I have a Macbook and it does, indeed, have a single STANDARD USB Port. It's the same USB Port used on my phone (Nexus 5x), on my tablet (ipad pro) , and on my external SSD. What it does NOT have is the older clunky USB ports.

The only issue is that it only has one of these ports and is perhaps one of the reasons why I use my Macbook Pro most of the time. The problem with the Macbook pro is it uses the old large clunky ports. Not so much of a problem yet, but it will be a bigger one down the road. I hope Apple fixes this with the newer gen Macbook Pros.
Yeah. Malloric is clearly not familiar with the MacBook. Mine arrived and it had a standard USB port. I like that I can plug in the standard USB-C cable from my Nexus 5x without requiring a funky adapter. A big fresh of air from the oversized USB a ports that only plug one way vs the other.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:02 AM

557 posts, read 605,932 times
So some time has passed, and still no updates to the Macbook Air line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers