Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 10:46 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,479,003 times

Advertisements

I have Century Link DSL speed 7 right now but will upgrade to 40 in a few months. One of the guys at Best Buy told me that I'd need a different router for each connection speed.

I just chatted with HP support hwere I plan to buy my new computer, and they say that's not true, that any router will work with any connection speed.

I've been limping along on an old Qwest modem, so I'm kind of behind the times when it comes to wireless. Which one is right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 03:09 PM

Sheesh, now I find one that says this is a router ONLY does not include modem. So do I also need a modem? I'm soooo confused!

Amazon.com: NETGEAR N750 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (WNDR4300): Computers & Accessories

Old 03-31-2016, 07:47 AM

16,534 posts, read 19,654,021 times
Century Link will give you a DSL modem.
You buy a router.
It's not complicated at all.
You COULD buy your own modem, but I don't think Century Link charges you for theirs like most cable companies do.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:18 AM

I already have Century Link and they did not give me a modem. I had to buy it so I stuck with my old Qwest modem which is way out of date. I'd rather not buy from CL because they're always more expensive and I'm not wealthy. I'd rather buy something I know will work for half the price somewhere else.

So I do need both a modem and a router? That's what confuses me. I've been using one piece of equipment (a modem), but if I go wireless with a brand new computer, I need 2 pieces to get DSL?

Old 03-31-2016, 02:42 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,457,209 times
I'm surprised CenturyLink didn't provide you with a modem.

You can probably check their website for compatible modems to purchase.
https://internethelp.centurylink.com...lp/modems.html

As far as routers go, mine is a little overkill for what speed I currently have, but I love my Netgear Nighthawk 1900.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:18 PM

8,296 posts, read 13,422,738 times
Lilly, what you need to understand to lessen the confusion is that whether you have a cable or a DSL Internet service, you need an suitable type of modem. The router/switch component is often integrated with the modems, so you are actually getting 2-in-1.
Kinda like shampoo and conditioner 2-in-1 but they can just as well be bought and used separately.

To my best knowledge, you cannot use a DSL modem (whether it is a standalone or one with integrated router component) with cable service and vice versa.
However, if you have a standalone DSL modem and just need a router (wired or wireless), that can be any brand and not depended on your service type.

This particular brand would be my choice of wi-fi router. Which model would depend on your need.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:07 PM

16,534 posts, read 19,654,021 times
You can use DSL without a router if you only have one PC directly connected to the modem. In this case you will have to login every time you use it. Old school, but works. Is that what you are doing now?

Old 04-01-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You can use DSL without a router if you only have one PC directly connected to the modem. In this case you will have to login every time you use it. Old school, but works. Is that what you are doing now?
Yes. But it's wired. I'd like to switch to wireless so I don't have to run the phone cord the entire length of the house.

Thanks for the help, all of you. The CL link was helpful to let me know which equipment they support. I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers