Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:57 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times

Advertisements

I searched but didn't find any recent posts on defraggers. My computer guy installed Piriform defragger which seems to work but it sure takes a long time. I just wondered if there are any other better products out there that would be quicker and better. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 01:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Windows has built in defragmentation, why do you need third party tool?

If it's SSD do not defragment the drive.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:25 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,663,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Defraggler (the one the OP mentions), can do more than what the built in Windows one can do (including shifting large files to the end of the HDD to keep future fragmentation to a minimum).

Quote:
If it's SSD do not defragment the drive.
Agree, and most defragmenting software will warn you / block defragmenting an SSD.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I searched but didn't find any recent posts on defraggers. My computer guy installed Piriform defragger which seems to work but it sure takes a long time. I just wondered if there are any other better products out there that would be quicker and better. Thanks!
I don't use it often, but I do use Defraggler from Piriform when I do need one.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:21 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Agree, and most defragmenting software will warn you / block defragmenting an SSD.
aside from being a waste of time, is there any danger from defragging an ssd ?

isnt defragging usually a waste of time these days since the smallest drives nowadays are usually 500 gb and even if there is wasted space there is usually a high likelihood of having enough contiguous space (i rarely hear hard drive chatter like in the 90's which means the hdd is looking for data for the same file on multiple platters which makes it take longer to pull in all sections of the data) ?

havent used windows in a long time... didnt even know defragging was still a thing.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:58 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman
Yes and I find the one that comes with Windows to be the best!!

One time I read Windows ME defrag was FASTER than the 98 one I had so I tried it.......... It missed stuff constantly and it the computer under alot of stress while it was running.... (Much more aggresive)

I have since put the 98 one back on......... Defragging is an IMPORTANT TOOL,speed is not needed!!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the responses, I have one of the last Win7 machines (Dell) and hoped that the Piriform would speed up the machine , if nothing else. Sorry, I am ignorant but don't know if I am defragging a SSD. (?). BTW, I use a few different CCleaners and Malwarebyte anti-malware programs, also Avast as well. Thanks again. :-)

Old 04-01-2016, 07:40 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Since regular HDD's are partially mechanical they will "wear out" after prolonged use and even though they are still functioning "logically", the mechanical side of it slows down. The system will see it as functioning but it way slower than it should be. In these cases even defragmenting it will not speed it up. You could replace the HD by "cloning" your existing one to a new one. Another thing to consider is that Windows itself will slow down considerably as time goes by. You can clean it and optimize it all you want but it won't help that much. Your best course of action assuming everything is in working order is to "reload" the OS from scratch. It is a PITA for most. What type of system is it? Desktop? Laptop?

Old 04-01-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Since regular HDD's are partially mechanical they will "wear out" after prolonged use and even though they are still functioning "logically", the mechanical side of it slows down. The system will see it as functioning but it way slower than it should be. In these cases even defragmenting it will not speed it up. You could replace the HD by "cloning" your existing one to a new one. Another thing to consider is that Windows itself will slow down considerably as time goes by. You can clean it and optimize it all you want but it won't help that much. Your best course of action assuming everything is in working order is to "reload" the OS from scratch. It is a PITA for most. What type of system is it? Desktop? Laptop?
It is a laptop. The Piriform states that I have 452 GB total which I am using 57 GB. Therefore , the HD is not overloaded at all.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
aside from being a waste of time, is there any danger from defragging an ssd ?

isnt defragging usually a waste of time these days since the smallest drives nowadays are usually 500 gb and even if there is wasted space there is usually a high likelihood of having enough contiguous space (i rarely hear hard drive chatter like in the 90's which means the hdd is looking for data for the same file on multiple platters which makes it take longer to pull in all sections of the data) ?

havent used windows in a long time... didnt even know defragging was still a thing.
There's some concern that normal, scheduled defraging will shorten the lifespan of an SSD as you are doing numerous unnecessary writes to the drive.

For must users manually running defrag is probably not necessary, and modern Windows versions do it as a scheduled task automatically every so often.

In my case, I do see some benefit to running it on occasion. I have 443 GB of Steam games on my platter based drive (208,000 + files), along with a number of VMWare images that don't get used daily (my daily use images are on my SSDs).

The Steam games update with enough regularity that fragmentation does occur.

Virtual Machine drive images are a particular problem;
In my configuration, they are split into multiple 2 GB files and they are set to only grow as needed (I don't create a full size empty drive at creation).

VMWare creates the files initially as 320 KB each, and then grows the drive as needed. So my current master Win 8 VM has 150 GB of drive space set aside (77 individual files), but is only using about 10 GB of that (so 7 files at between 700 MB and 2 GB each, and the other 70 are all 320 KB each). As the VM needs more space it begins to fill into the empty files, and you start to get fragmentation (of single 2 GB files).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers