Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 11:51 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
My Mom's is upgraded. I see nothing so far that I care about, and just have to learn another OS and it's idiosyncrasies, and hope 10 is stable ..ugh. For what? Been here many times with MS (currently have 3 MS OS working) ...would love to get back some of the lost hours and data.
Upgrade to Windows 10 and then spend $4.99 for Start 10 and there will be no learning curve:
https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 05:29 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Upgrade to Windows 10 and then spend $4.99 for Start 10 and there will be no learning curve:
https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/
Uhuh...my question is "why?"

Old 04-27-2016, 01:32 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Uhuh...my question is "why?"
Find out for yourself. It's free to try for 30 days.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:15 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,324,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I am not so sure if this is really the truth ...
We had Windows 10 automatically installed yesterday on our destop pc. My wife and I were collaborating on an important document when we realized we needed a new cartridge for the printer. We left the computer on, hit Staples then Starbucks and when we got back the screen was black except for the word Hi. My wife jiggled the mouse and then realized 10 had been installed. There was no stopping it, 10 was already installed. I was astonished. There was no permissions box to click. No page after page of legal mumbo-jumbo, just a newly installed OS. I don't mind, I think it looks good, but my wife despises it.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:03 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
On my laptop I have the Home version and that setting is available.

Settings >> Update & security >> Windows Update (should already be selected) >> Advanced Options(down the bottom)
Those options have two options to choose how updates are installed. One is to do it automatically and one is to notify you. But even when it notifies you, it still schedules it to be done automatically. You have to notice the notification and predict when your computer will be idle. But busy people who do serious work with computers at random times of the day and night can't always predict that, and don't have time to deal with such stupid attacks while trying to do real work. And they don't always notice the notification soon enough to delay the attack. And even when they successfully delay the attack, if they delay it again, and keep delaying it, they will soon run into a limit, where it can't be delayed anymore. And that might be when they're doing something that can't be interrupted, but Microsoft insists that they obey its interruptions, because they're Microsoft's slaves, and can't be trusted to make their own decisions about what they're doing on their computers. Linux is for people who want to be in control, and not be considered small disposable parts of the machine.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:07 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
We had Windows 10 automatically installed yesterday on our destop pc. My wife and I were collaborating on an important document when we realized we needed a new cartridge for the printer. We left the computer on, hit Staples then Starbucks and when we got back the screen was black except for the word Hi. My wife jiggled the mouse and then realized 10 had been installed. There was no stopping it, 10 was already installed. I was astonished. There was no permissions box to click. No page after page of legal mumbo-jumbo, just a newly installed OS. I don't mind, I think it looks good, but my wife despises it.
I hated W10, too. Couldn't find things. Couldn't get it to install LAN based printer. Couldn't get file sharing to work reliably. Couldn't find other computers on the LAN. Buggy.
Reverted back to 8.1.
Am still hassling the laptop manufacturer (HP) for Win 7 drivers so I can install Win 7.
No joy.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:26 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Wow all the complaints. Upgraded from W7 to W10 on the desktop and laptop. The Edge browser is way better than IE11 and the learning curve for W10 was very shallow. Like 8 differences. I just ignored the tiles. FYI I am age 66. Maybe as you get older, adjusting to change gets easier

Old 05-01-2016, 07:39 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Wow all the complaints. Upgraded from W7 to W10 on the desktop and laptop. The Edge browser is way better than IE11 and the learning curve for W10 was very shallow. Like 8 differences. I just ignored the tiles. FYI I am age 66. Maybe as you get older, adjusting to change gets easier
Change for change's sake is not good. Especially, when one has developed a large repertoire of reflexive actions to do various tasks.
Relearning software user interfaces is a pain. . . relearning operating system habits is even more annoying.

As a former software and hardware engineer, my opinion is that Win 10 is a dog. M$ wants to get the customer to pump $$$ into it via advertising (Bing, ads, etc), and the industry went along with it.

If you can get by with Linux, dump M$ ASAP.

Why Windows 10 sucks or Everything Wrong with Windows 10

Why Windows 10 is spyware?

Because it has all the attributes of spyware:
  • Downloads itself to your machine without you specifically asking for it? YES
  • Aggressively attempts to install itself taking over your computer in the process? YES
  • Sends unknown and/or encrypted data to known and unknown third parties? YES
  • Sends personally identifying information to known and unknown third parties? YES
  • Easy to remove? NO
In short, it looks like spyware, smells like spyware, walks like spyware and talks like spyware. Windows 10 is spyware.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:59 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
Don't do it. I bought a computer with 10 and the bugs are everywhere. I understand the people who upgraded from 7 or 8 are experiencing some big problems. Mine has an issue with a blue screen stuck in device driver. Yes, it's the intel processor and I can't fix it because my OS is missing soft parts that are suppose to fix it! Let's not forget about the AMD stuff downloaded by Microsoft...let's make up our mind! I can't get rid of it to do a new download and try to fix it all.

Pulling hair out

I wish I had my 7 back...knew it well. maybe 11 or 12 will make sense but I don't see anything on 10 that my 7 couldn't do.

Still pulling hair out

Bald by 10

My mom has the 10 (both got the same kind of computer), she has no problems, but also doesn't know how to work the computer, therefore doesn't use it.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:03 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Those options have two options to choose how updates are installed. One is to do it automatically and one is to notify you. But even when it notifies you, it still schedules it to be done automatically.
I don't see that happening on my machines, last update I didn't even realize it was there until I manually rebooted for another reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers