Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 AM

75 posts, read 330,327 times

Advertisements

Thanks Guys (i think guys) i will try the links and see what comes of it. I will also back up everything just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 08:11 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmablue View Post
Thanks Guys (i think guys) i will try the links and see what comes of it. I will also back up everything just in case.
Good luck. If you don't have a slave drive, now is a good time to buy one.

I know it's a lot of work to reinstall, but some times you have to. The time you spend fiddling around trying to fix it, you could have backed up, reinstalled and been using the printer by now.

My son had a service error that i spent 2 weeks on. I ended up hitting F9 during boot (Gigabyte motherboards back up) and he was running by that night.

I usually run things like downloads & My Documents from the slave drive, less to recover if the main drive gets borked.

(girl btw) lol

Old 02-15-2008, 02:32 PM

Oops....sorry you know what they say when u assume. What is slave drive? Is that code word for back up disks. I am assuming (theres that word again) that I back up my computer on disks? BTW....I'm all girl who has not a clue on this stuff. Guess thats obvious.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Oops....sorry you know what they say when u assume. What is slave drive? Is that code word for back up disks. I am assuming (theres that word again) that I back up my computer on disks? BTW....I'm all girl who has not a clue on this stuff. Guess thats obvious.

lol - no problem. I'm a girl that got tired of sending my pc out to be fixed after it returned with the same problem. Process of elimination, they did not have my keyboard & mouse. Once I replaced those, my computer booted lol

Anyway, what type of computer do you have? Is it one that someone built for you or is it a branded one like a Compaq or Dell? If it's a brand name, please post the model number.

A slave drive is a 2nd hard drive you buy then hook up to the computer. Depending on your needs and what you do, you may need an 80 or a 500 gig. Drives are cheap these days and very easy to install.. you can do it yourself.

Post your stuff, then we'll see what you can do.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:12 PM

I have an HP a350n. I really appreciate this....

Old 02-15-2008, 09:16 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,416 times
Quote:
Roselvr is suggesting you buy a 2nd internal (or external) hard drive, and back your important data onto it.

An external will be more user friendly, so my bet is go to the store, and find one that includes their backup software (Seagate makes a pretty good product)

Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Roselvr is suggesting you buy a 2nd internal (or external) hard drive, and back your important data onto it.

An external will be more user friendly, so my bet is go to the store, and find one that includes their backup software (Seagate makes a pretty good product)
That would work. I prefer slaving a drive but understand that not everyone can do this, so an external is fine. What I like to do is buy a regular hard drive then an external enclosure, put the drive in it, it's usually cheaper, or was last I looked.

Quote:
This is the main page for your model. If we click on the product specs we see that:

Pentium 4 / 2.80 GHz
800 MHz front side bus
mPGA478
HyperThreading Technology
Chipset
865PE
Motherboard manufacturer
ASUS
Ram (installed) 512 MB (2 x 256)
Maximum (HP recommended) 2 GB (4 x 512 MB)
Speed supported PC2700 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
DIMM slots Four
Open slots Two
Hard drive
160 GB Ultra DMA - 7200 rpm

The 1st thing you might want to do is go to the link I gave, then on the left look for Contact HP - HP Customer Care - see where it says Interact online with HP? Get an online chat going to see if they've seen this before. If all else fails, you'll have to use the system restore to bring the computer back to factory but you'd want to back it up 1st. If you use Outlook Express we can tell you how to back that up too once you get set up. Once you do a factory restore you will lose all data.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:12 PM

You guys are so amazing....(girls). Its so nice that you are here to help a stranger who has no clue with a problem. I will try what has been suggested and let you know how it works. We are starting to have thunder and lightening storms now in the Dallas area so I'm going to turn everything off for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers