Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:40 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
AHT - apple hardware test. It's a pretty powerful tool that the geniuses use but we plebes can also use

thanks for all the advice - yeah, Garageband is what he's using and he isn't likely to switch unless he's forced to, at gunpoint, really.

I'll go the upgrade route and see how it goes. Fingers crossed!
you might want to launch "Activity Monitor" and look at the bottom to see if you are using "Swap". If you are, then you are short on RAM.

If the computer is a tool for his work, he has to understand the cost and return for this tool. If it is used to bring in revenue, then he must maintain it. If it does not bringing in revenue, it is just a hobby.

To restore from a time machine backup, you need the DVD that came from apple when you bought the computer.

Alternatively you can buy a hard drive duplicator such as
http://www.amazon.com/Cavalry-Retrie...lry+duplicator

Can clone the current hard drive in its current state.

A hard drive and memory upgrade is likely to cost more than the value of the macbook and the battery life is already diminishing. So you need to decide how long you expect to keep this thing running and how long Apple will support it.

Personally I upgraded my 2010 Macbook with 8GB for ram and a 500 GB SSD and it runs like a champ. Upgrades cost over $200 but I like the plastic body and the DVD writer, Otherwise I would have upgraded.

Typically when hardware checks out, and you spend more than an hour with the software , you are better reinstalling the OS from the DVD.

So you need to find or order that DVD from Apple or just upgrade. I think the upgrade goes like this.

Click on the Apple > Click software update > Update itunes > upgrade the app store > go to the app store to upgrade to the latest OS. I did have a problem once where I had to go to the app store and reinstall Lion before I could update to El Capitan. I did this on a new duplicated SSD and preserved my old one.

How did you remedy the original hard drive problem? Did you reinstall or did they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 10:16 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
Apple installed a new drive. It was literally two months old.

Yeah, upgrading is a lot cheaper than buying a new one - not sure what the max RAM is on his MB. I've run disk utility a lot; repaired permissions; disk always come back as OK.

On my MBP, which is a beautiful 15" aluminum unibody that I simply don't want to get rid of, despite its age, I've maxed out RAM at 4GB, though third parties apparently have successfully used a 4GB chip in the second slot to eke 6GB out of it. But it had the notorious logic board issue several years after purchase -- Apple replaced it free (no Apple Care, either) and it was a ~$700 part, but I think it's going again. Sigh.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:38 PM

Update - got a look at his specs - it's mid-2010 MB with only 2gigs of RAM, so that's a big part of the problem, right there. I'm about to buy 8 gigs of OWC RAM and a 480GB SSD on Amazon. $244 shipped.
Should be a nice day's work this weekend, if he'll let me at it.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:39 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,610 times
Quote:
Update - got a look at his specs - it's mid-2010 MB with only 2gigs of RAM, so that's a big part of the problem, right there. I'm about to buy 8 gigs of OWC RAM and a 480GB SSD on Amazon. $244 shipped.
If you get the 480GB OCZ or AMD, be sure to check/update the firmware.

How do you intend to get the OS onto the new drive?

Old 04-28-2016, 06:01 PM

I got this one: OWC 480GB Mercury Electra 3G SSD 2.5" Serial-ATA 7mm Solid State Drive.
Downloading El Capitan onto my creaky ol' 2007 MBP right now and will make a bootable installer on USB.
There are issues with this method, though, not the least of which is that all the instructions I've found so far for doing this involve OS 10.7 or later.
I'm not giving up this easily though.

Last edited by Gettingouttahere; 04-28-2016 at 06:12 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Remember to enable trim when you install the ssd!

Old 04-29-2016, 01:07 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
That should be a rather dramatic improvement.

RAM starved and slow, undersized spinning disk = beach balls galore

Old 04-29-2016, 05:19 AM

thanks -- could you walk me through enabling trim, archineer? i read about it but my mind is a bit loopy with everything i'm trying to absorb...

by the way, i'm going to have to clone the original HDD onto the SSD in an enclosure - there is no way I can find to make a bootable USB of El Capitan when you're running 10.6.8 .. I'm not comfortable enough with Terminal to wing it, and all the instructions I've found online require 10.7+

Old 04-29-2016, 08:56 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
^ mac-os is technically a version of bsd-unix (though i know they have taken away programs like awk or apache ...). check to see if you have the disk-duplicator program (which dd). although you dont like terminal commands, its probably the quickest and cheapest method.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:48 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,546 times
Quote:
thanks -- could you walk me through enabling trim, archineer? i read about it but my mind is a bit loopy with everything i'm trying to absorb...

by the way, i'm going to have to clone the original HDD onto the SSD in an enclosure - there is no way I can find to make a bootable USB of El Capitan when you're running 10.6.8 .. I'm not comfortable enough with Terminal to wing it, and all the instructions I've found online require 10.7+
Can't you update the system to El Capitan first? If not clone the drive then install the El Capitan update.

After the ssd is installed and updated, just open terminal and enter command "sudo trimforce enable" and done. If you don't this you wont get full performance of the ssd, and it will wear out faster.

Also given the age of the macbook, you wont get full 500MBps read/write seeds, as you most likely have a SATA 2 connection, not SATA 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers