U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 06:22 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,669,032 times

Advertisements

It's going to sound weird, and believe me I had the same reaction you're about to, but.... turn it upside down when you plug it in. I had a seagate external drive a few years ago that stopped reading properly, and while looking for a solution read that. After looking back and forth from the solution to the drive and back again going, "naw... no way," I finally figured what was there to lose, and sure enough it worked. I wouldn't consider it a permanent solution by any means, but it could at least allow you to get your info off of the drive. Don't ask me how it worked, because I haven't the slightest clue. It may not even work for you, but hey, it's already busted so, what is there to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:26 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,255,404 times
I've had more WD drives go bad than any other brand. But that's because I've owned more WD drives. It's some random percentage of all your drives that will go bad after a random amount of certain kinds of treatment. If you take your computer somewhere in your car, and the vibration from the road vibrates the computer, that can reduce the hard drive life by some small amount. If you simply let your hard drives age, that can make them get older too. If you access them excessively, that can make a small difference too. If you get so astonished and enraged by software bugs that you drop kick your computer, that can make a difference too. All these things add up. And on top of that, there is a totally random factor that makes some drives last many times longer than others, at random. I haven't actually noticed any difference between brands, but haven't been keeping a close watch on brand differences. Just that I've owned so many WD drives that I naturally have a long history of WD drive failures, and a lot fewer of brands I've owned less, simply because less ownership equates to fewer opportunities for them to go bad.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:54 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,669,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I've had more WD drives go bad than any other brand. But that's because I've owned more WD drives. It's some random percentage of all your drives that will go bad after a random amount of certain kinds of treatment. If you take your computer somewhere in your car, and the vibration from the road vibrates the computer, that can reduce the hard drive life by some small amount. If you simply let your hard drives age, that can make them get older too. If you access them excessively, that can make a small difference too. If you get so astonished and enraged by software bugs that you drop kick your computer, that can make a difference too. All these things add up. And on top of that, there is a totally random factor that makes some drives last many times longer than others, at random. I haven't actually noticed any difference between brands, but haven't been keeping a close watch on brand differences. Just that I've owned so many WD drives that I naturally have a long history of WD drive failures, and a lot fewer of brands I've owned less, simply because less ownership equates to fewer opportunities for them to go bad.
I won't touch WD with a 10 foot pole anymore. I've had 4 of them, 3 died within a month. The last one I owned came with the prefab tower or it wouldn't have been WD either, fortunately that one has lasted so far... excuse me while I knock the hell out of some wood... The other brands I've owned are Seagate and Maxtor, the only drive from Seagate that I've had issues with was the external, and since I took it out of the external casing and plugged it directly into a sata cable, it works just fine for storage, albeit a smidge on the slow side of things. The Maxtor drives I owned still work, I just don't have anything worthwhile on them to hook them up, and 20GB drives are a joke for space these days.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:19 PM

4,378 posts, read 4,058,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
It's going to sound weird, and believe me I had the same reaction you're about to, but.... turn it upside down when you plug it in. I had a seagate external drive a few years ago that stopped reading properly, and while looking for a solution read that. After looking back and forth from the solution to the drive and back again going, "naw... no way," I finally figured what was there to lose, and sure enough it worked. I wouldn't consider it a permanent solution by any means, but it could at least allow you to get your info off of the drive. Don't ask me how it worked, because I haven't the slightest clue. It may not even work for you, but hey, it's already busted so, what is there to lose.
Those types of solutions don't surprise me at all, question is could it work with a solid state drive?

Old 05-11-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The drives function determines if it's a backup drive, not what the manufacturer calls it. Take any drive, load a COPY of your data on it, it's a backup drive. Take the same drive, MOVE your important data to it, it's no longer a backup drive, it's storage. Or more accurately, a disaster waiting to happen.

It's impossible to predetermine the lifespan of a hard drive, my general rule of thumb is expect them to fail anytime after you start using them. If you plan for that, you'll lose nothing.
What is it that causes portabkes to fail more than permanates? I have a 450gb one that's older, and have had no problem with it other than size, which is why I bought the seagate, so the other one can exclusivly just hold my writings.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:54 PM

The upside down thing didn't work, probably best for non solid states. I'm trying to uninstall, and reinstall it. See if that works, an not wipe it clean, if it isn't already.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:38 PM

1,080 posts, read 829,401 times
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...s-for-q2-2015/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or