Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 12:03 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,514,864 times

Advertisements

I did the W10 upgrade a few months ago on my five year old desktop. No issues. Very short learning curve and everything works better! Impressed with the Edge browser. Much better than IE11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 01:22 PM

5,921 posts, read 6,441,597 times
I've been testing it on a backup work computer and have had zero issues with it. Everything I've needed it to do, it's done. Well, the only issue I've had on this particular machine is that when I shutdown the OS, it doesn't completely power off the system. But I've found that the Lenovo Yoga tends to have some odd issues with it anyway.

Other than that, I don't really see a reason to avoid it. If it's security one is worried about. Well, probably shouldn't have ever used a Windows OS to begin with.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:42 AM

16,510 posts, read 19,601,174 times
I love it and have been using it since it released last year.
The dual monitor support is fantastic. I don't use Edge, though.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:10 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,650,335 times
Multiple computers here (work, play, etc), and no issues so far. Like Peregrine, I'm really happy not to have to buy third party toolbars anymore for my extra monitors, and I don't have any use for Edge / Cortana.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:12 PM

6,570 posts, read 11,244,278 times
No issues from here. I have a Surface Book running Win10 and a VM on my Mac. Both are Ent. versions. That said, it's no better/worse than Windows 7. I haven't seen anything that's "wow'd" me.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:36 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,237,155 times
On Windows 7, when I pushed a certain button on my keyboard, it would bring up a nice calculator, into which I could paste numbers and do arithmetic. On Windows 10, when I push that button, it brings up an awkward calculator, which often hides behind other windows so I have to go to it instead of having it immediately in front of me when I push the button. And it often is in the wrong input mode so I can't paste or type a number into it from my keyboard till I nudge the right part of the calculator to get it into the right input mode to accept my input.

And that's just one example. My overall impression of Windows 10 is that it was a lot of work by novice programmers who are going to spend years getting the new bugs out, and who didn't have the wisdom to build on what they already had working well, but had to start over on features that now need to be debugged as if they were invented yesterday.

And on top of that, Windows 10's automatic updates are obnoxious. I don't want it to update till I tell it to. I especially don't want it to reboot till I tell it to. Windows 7 gave me that level of control. Windows 10 doesn't.

Therefore, overall, I consider Windows 10 to be a disaster. And millions of Windows users are gradually upgrading to Linux.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:12 PM

16,510 posts, read 19,601,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
On Windows 7, when I pushed a certain button on my keyboard, it would bring up a nice calculator, into which I could paste numbers and do arithmetic. On Windows 10, when I push that button, it brings up an awkward calculator, which often hides behind other windows so I have to go to it instead of having it immediately in front of me when I push the button. And it often is in the wrong input mode so I can't paste or type a number into it from my keyboard till I nudge the right part of the calculator to get it into the right input mode to accept my input.
My keyboard calculator button still works just as it did in 7. No problem.

Quote:
Therefore, overall, I consider Windows 10 to be a disaster. And millions of Windows users are gradually upgrading to Linux.
Yea, maybe 100's. Once they realize how Linux still isn't quite ready for prime time, they'll be back, too.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:17 AM

971 posts, read 1,449,641 times
I would say after 5 months of learning Win10, It is about 30% as effective as the other window OS's I have had. IMO

Old 05-17-2016, 07:13 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,650,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexias View Post
As for me I find out as good things as not very great.

So, to be brief:

• Pros Fast startup. Rich software, also device ecosystem. Much more free upgrade. Familiar interface with start menu. Better gaming features. Included music, news, and video apps.
  • Cons Browser lacks extensions. Less touch-friendly than Windows 8. Some divided interface features such as Settings and Control Panel, also multiple Skype version.
No built in MS browser has ever had extensions ... Install Firefox or Chrome and move on.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,361,908 times
So far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers