U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:43 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,194,724 times

Advertisements

I'm loving Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion laptop (about 14 months old). Some cool updates are coming like the big anniversary update around July. More universal apps are jumping on board, too. By next year W10 will be polished up and MS will turn its attention to mobile. The Surface phone should come out around April of next year and more OEMs will have W10 phones out, too. MS did the right thing this year by not pushing mobile as W10 (at its best) is not ready for mobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 08:54 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Not even a Surface Phone is going to help MS at this point... they've lost that battle...

Old 05-18-2016, 12:32 PM

5,314 posts, read 3,474,574 times
I like it, but underneath the new design it's still Windows.

Settings all over the place... Why can you access the new style settings menu, but also access the Control Panel from XP era?

Windows really needs a complete overhaul from the ground up.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 AM

24,034 posts, read 29,153,497 times
Windows 10 was just installed on my computer this evening without my permission. Of course, then the screen came up for me to either accept or decline the software. I declined and it reinstalled Windows 7. Has anyone else had this happen?

Nasty way to do it, apparently:

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-w...-sneaky-pushy/

Old 05-19-2016, 02:23 AM

342 posts, read 370,818 times
It is quite common for Windows 10 to install itself. If you allow automatic updates then the install files downloaded to your PC months ago, waiting for you to give it the go-ahead. Supposedly all W10 nagware will go away after July when the free upgrade period ends, but we'll see. I have no intention to upgrade since 8.1 is working fine for me. The only feature I would upgrade for would be DX12 for gaming, and I don't even game much anymore so I see no point right now. Plus no control over Windows Updates on the Home or Pro editions is a deal breaker for me.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:57 AM

24,034 posts, read 29,153,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead0043 View Post
It is quite common for Windows 10 to install itself. If you allow automatic updates then the install files downloaded to your PC months ago, waiting for you to give it the go-ahead. Supposedly all W10 nagware will go away after July when the free upgrade period ends, but we'll see. I have no intention to upgrade since 8.1 is working fine for me. The only feature I would upgrade for would be DX12 for gaming, and I don't even game much anymore so I see no point right now. Plus no control over Windows Updates on the Home or Pro editions is a deal breaker for me.
I never intended to give it the go-ahead, though. I must have done it by accident somehow. I do not do any gaming - left that with Pac Man and Space Invaders.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:27 AM

11,814 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Settings all over the place... Why can you access the new style settings menu, but also access the Control Panel from XP era?
I like to think of it as BASIC SETTINGS and ADVANCED SETTINGS for basic and advanced users.
Eventually everything will be moved to the newer style but they didn't want to alienate old timers, like me, that still prefer the older style settings. They already alienated enough people with Win 8.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 884 times
If Its a Pirated Version,your License Will be blocked.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 4 days ago)

15,434 posts, read 8,953,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I never intended to give it the go-ahead, though. I must have done it by accident somehow. I do not do any gaming - left that with Pac Man and Space Invaders.
What it does is just stealthily inform you that it will install it on X date; it installs it, then you are none the wiser until you suddenly have tiles on your home screen. I don't understand this strategy. If MS customers haven't installed Win 10 by now despite Microsoft's incessant nagware, it's obvious we don't want it. What part of NO does Microsoft not understand? All this pushiness is going to do is alienate us as customers and make us want to consider iOS or Linux. I'm glad you reminded me, though. I need to remove my automatic updates setting so I don't find my system with Windows 10 installed. I think people who are happy with Windows 10 usually have newer PCs. My computer is 5 years old, I myself don't like adopting new technology just because companies say it's better, so I want to stick with Windows 7 until it no longer suits my purposes.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 AM

20,903 posts, read 11,711,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I like to think of it as BASIC SETTINGS and ADVANCED SETTINGS for basic and advanced users.
Eventually everything will be moved to the newer style but they didn't want to alienate old timers, like me, that still prefer the older style settings. They already alienated enough people with Win 8.
Windows 10 is a decent tilt back toward desktop users compared to the tablet-oriented Windows 8.

I think for desktop use, however, Windows 10 is still far inferior in interface usability compared to Windows 7 (and that includes Office 2016 applications compared to Office 2013).

The basic look of the windows is far less distinguishable than Windows 7, and user interface customization has been all but removed. In Windows 7, for instance, you could choose the width and colors of window frames (and vary them when windows were active or inactive), and the width and colors of scroll bars.

With Windows 10, windows have no frames and often its difficult to determine where the edge of a window is. The scroll bars are narrow and the scroll bar handle is not only more difficult to distinguish, it actually disappears when the window is not active. This is something that is a continuous every-moment-of-every-day-at-the-computer annoyance to me.

And who in the heck convinced the Office programmers that a gray-on-gray-on-gray color scheme was superior to anything--much less the previous complete user customizability?

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 05-20-2016 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or