U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:55 AM

1,330 posts, read 959,458 times

Advertisements

I recently had to buy a new tower and Windows 10 was installed on it.

I got used to it extremely quickly and would never go back to Windows 7 - I really like Windows 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:08 AM

11,821 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Windows 10 is a decent tilt back toward desktop users compared to the tablet-oriented Windows 8.
Agree. And as ,much as everyone hated Windows 8 it is REALLY great on a tablet. I rolled mine back from 10 > 8.

Now the disagreements.

Quote:
With Windows 10, windows have no frames and often its difficult to determine where the edge of a window is.
Totally disagree. I never have this issue.

Quote:
The scroll bars are narrow and the scroll bar handle is not only more difficult to distinguish, it actually disappears when the window is not active.
This is ONLY true in the Microsoft Office Suite and has nothing to do with Windows 10.
And... so what?!?! Do you not have a wheel on your mouse?
In my opinion this is an INSANE improvement, actually, the way windows now work together. But maybe this isn't something you're quite used to yet?
Stop thinking in the old school terms of INACTIVE AND ACTIVE windows. In Windows 10, you no longer need to CLICK on an inactive window to make it active. You just mouse over it! This is a fantastic improvement, something I didn't know I wanted until I had it.

Quote:
And who in the heck convinced the Office programmers that a gray-on-gray-on-gray color scheme was superior to anything--much less the previous complete user customizability?
TOTALLY agree. What a total failure that was.
"Yea, we are going to let you choose COLORS for Office!"
Grey, black and white aren't really colors, Microsoft.
At least they added a few in 2016 finally.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 AM

20,914 posts, read 11,725,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

This is ONLY true in the Microsoft Office Suite and has nothing to do with Windows 10.

It affects all Windows applications, including older applications.

Quote:

It affects both vertical and horizontal scroll bars. It's especially annoying on the horizontal scroll bar of Adobe Premiere Pro, which is very horizontal-scroll-bar intensive. It's not just a matter of moving the handle, but also clicking and dragging the ends of the handle to change the duration appearance of the video sequence. When you can't see where the current ends of the handle are until you hover the cursor over the bar, that turns a frequent one-step action into a two-step action.

"Grrr!" all the time.

Quote:
In my opinion this is an INSANE improvement, actually, the way windows now work together. But maybe this isn't something you're quite used to yet?

Stop thinking in the old school terms of INACTIVE AND ACTIVE windows. In Windows 10, you no longer need to CLICK on an inactive window to make it active. You just mouse over it! This is a fantastic improvement, something I didn't know I wanted until I had it.

You apparently don't do as much windowing as I do, and don't use applications like Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and Proshow Producer that have their own dockable and undockable internal frames as I do.

With Windows 7, When my objective is to change the size or precise position of a window (which it very frequently is), a definite red active window frame against gray inactive window frames is far faster and easier to spot, click, resize, and move than than gray-on-gray widows with no edges.

And my point here is that they removed something very valuable to desktop use--nearly total user interface customization--and left us with far less visibility and less user customizability...and that's not "progress" in personal computing (what "PC" is supposed to mean) by any interpretation. Not giving me something in the first place is one thing; removing something that had been available is something different. Decisions I used to make in how I work are now being made by Microsoft.

BTW, I used an applet that has given me UNIX-style active framing with hover since the Windows 95.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 05-20-2016 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It affects all Windows applications, including older applications.
I'm talking about the scroll bar disappearing. This ONLY happens in Office apps.
/me checks his old a** version of Adobe PS. Works fine.

Quote:
It affects both vertical and horizontal scroll bars. It's especially annoying on the horizontal scroll bar of Adobe Premiere Pro, which is very horizontal-scroll-bar intensive. It's not just a matter of moving the handle, but also clicking and dragging the ends of the handle to change the duration appearance of the video sequence. When you can't see where the current ends of the handle are until you hover the cursor over the bar, that turns a frequent one-step action into a two-step action.
Don't have that, so I defer to you there.

Quote:
You apparently don't do as much windowing as I do,
I'm a monster "windowers" but with dual monitors there is little need for me to resize windows very often.

Quote:
Photoshop,
I use that a lot.

Quote:
Decisions I used to make in how I work are now being made by Microsoft.
Have you looked for a 3rd party app maybe?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:12 PM

20,914 posts, read 11,725,323 times
Quote:
I'm talking about the scroll bar disappearing. This ONLY happens in Office apps.
/me checks his old a** version of Adobe PS. Works fine.

Don't have that, so I defer to you there.

I'm a monster "windowers" but with dual monitors there is little need for me to resize windows very often.

I use that a lot.

Have you looked for a 3rd party app maybe?
I use three monitors.

They took something away--reduced user options-- and didn't replace it with an improvement.

That's not progress.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:51 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,736,315 times
Quote:
How well does it work with a touchpad?

Quote:
About time MS got with the program. I've been using third-party utilities to influence window Z-order and active window selection via hover (as X has been doing for 20+ years) since the Windows 9x days.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:15 PM

Touchpads work better in Windows then they ever have. 2 fingers to scroll is a boon, although this worked in 7, it's better in 10.
It's almost Apple-like, IMO. (Apple being the gold standard...that's one thing they do better then anyone.)

Old 05-20-2016, 01:26 PM

24,053 posts, read 29,175,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What it does is just stealthily inform you that it will install it on X date; it installs it, then you are none the wiser until you suddenly have tiles on your home screen. I don't understand this strategy. If MS customers haven't installed Win 10 by now despite Microsoft's incessant nagware, it's obvious we don't want it. What part of NO does Microsoft not understand? All this pushiness is going to do is alienate us as customers and make us want to consider iOS or Linux. I'm glad you reminded me, though. I need to remove my automatic updates setting so I don't find my system with Windows 10 installed. I think people who are happy with Windows 10 usually have newer PCs. My computer is 5 years old, I myself don't like adopting new technology just because companies say it's better, so I want to stick with Windows 7 until it no longer suits my purposes.
We also have a major expensive software program at DH's office that is not compatible with Win 10. I am not going to shell out money for a new version of that until I have to.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:12 AM

15,009 posts, read 12,207,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
We also have a major expensive software program at DH's office that is not compatible with Win 10. I am not going to shell out money for a new version of that until I have to.

My home computer I have many games on and I was afraid to switch to 10. I planned on keeping it 7 for a very long time or, at least, until they got the bugs out of 10. Windows hounded me constantly to change. If I put my computer to sleep; they woke it up and started downloading some aspects of 10. Several times they would bug me every time I turned on the computer. Just yesterday they finally got me. Perhaps I hit the window instead of the 'X' to close? Regardless; I thought that I put it to sleep and came back to welcome to 10! I was not happy.

It actually has not caused me too many problems; I did save most of my old 7 settings. I just don't like being tricked into the new program. I love all of their advertisements about how many 10 users are in the world - like they gave them any other choice!

Old 05-23-2016, 03:41 PM

602 posts, read 805,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
My home computer I have many games on and I was afraid to switch to 10. I planned on keeping it 7 for a very long time or, at least, until they got the bugs out of 10. Windows hounded me constantly to change. If I put my computer to sleep; they woke it up and started downloading some aspects of 10. Several times they would bug me every time I turned on the computer. Just yesterday they finally got me. Perhaps I hit the window instead of the 'X' to close? Regardless; I thought that I put it to sleep and came back to welcome to 10! I was not happy.

It actually has not caused me too many problems; I did save most of my old 7 settings. I just don't like being tricked into the new program. I love all of their advertisements about how many 10 users are in the world - like they gave them any other choice!
You can regain Windows 7 if you want. You can go to the Windows 10 site and they give you instructions on removing 10 and re-installing your old Windows. The instructions are easy to follow. You just go into your settings and follow the leads.

They automatically installed 10 last night when I was on the computer. I had gotten the occasional Windows 10 upgrade suggestions for awhile and just ignored them. Then I got a notice last night that 10 would install in a certain amount of time. I misread the notice as installation to start in 14 hours when I guess it was due to switch in 14 minutes. I was actually surfing the web trying to find a way to stop the install when it started. I didn't know how to stop it at that point so I let it continue. It took nearly 2 hours for it to finish.

I tried it for awhile last night and today and decided I didn't like it. I went to the Windows 10 website and looked around for some way to tweak it and lo and behold, I found the procedure to remove 10 and revert back to the old Windows. All I needed to do was answer a question why I didn't like it and I then made the change. It was quick and painless, took less than 10 minutes and now I'm back again exactly as before, including all my old anti-virus programs, which had been removed by 10.

Anyway, you can change it back if you really don't like 10 although I think you only have 30 days after installation of 10 to do it this way. After that 30 day period, it may be more complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or