U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM

2,494 posts, read 4,767,298 times

Advertisements

Just now, a recent Windows 7 update caused people's computers to fail if they had an Asus motherboard.
I wonder what percent of users have those.

I've been reading horror stories of Windows updates for years so I set my Windows 7 computer to "never check for updates" - I know you're going to lecture me about malware, but I'd rather risk the malware than be bricked like the Asus users.

I also loaded MS's Malicious Software checker and ran the scan which took about 10 minutes.

Some people also wait a few days before loading each update. That seems wise. Did MS remove the update that was killing the Asus computers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 08:15 PM

965 posts, read 1,217,348 times
Oh NO!!!
I have an Asus and had a BSOD for the first time on May 1. It's under the BSOD Safe Mode thread.
People here have had me download the WhoCrashed and Blue Screen analyzers but I can't get any reports written out.
My computer runs more slowly and my color is off but it still functions.

After reading these threads I also downloaded a program to keep and remove all Win 10 updates from downloading. Apparently they have been downloading without approval. With my computer in such a state, I don't want Win 10 being forced upon me.

Thanks for posting this, I will keep checking back. My guess is that this is not a coincidence.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 520 times
HI,

Kindly suggest me which type of mother board is getting failure, kindly give me latest updates motherboard which are getting, kindly send me list.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:27 AM

3,952 posts, read 2,607,086 times
To the OP: I use an ASUS motherboard and I have not updated anything recently, do you know the update that is causing this problem? The KB number? I will make sure and either not update at all or skip that particular update. I have my automatic updates turned OFF all the time. I prefer manual.

@ localinsight: Check your PM... It may be possible to roll back the update if it is causing you problems if we find out which one is the problem.

I would suggest contacting ASUS if possible about this..

Old 05-12-2016, 01:54 PM

Thanks gguera
I did install the GWX control panel to check for Win 10 updates and prevent them from installing. Posters have mentioned KB3035583 (and one other which I havent checked for yet) as the problems. Even with this control panel, I was proof reading my update list after I manually ran them and found this KB#. I uninstalled it but don't know how it got through.

I bought the laptop in 2010, Do you think ASUS might have info to help me ?

Old 05-12-2016, 02:16 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
The OP is not quite accurate. The problem isn't with Asus motherboards, it's with Asus brand computers, and is caused by an improper BIOS setting, the fix is quite simple.

Recommended KB 3133977 patch can cause Asus PCs to freeze | InfoWorld

Fix: After installing Microsoft Update KB3133977 for Windows 7, some users may encounter a "Secure Boot Violation"*, which makes*the system fail to boot into the operating system.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:06 PM

Thanks for researching that, NHDave.
On May I got the BSOD and despite running WhoCrashed and Blue Screen analyzers suggested here, I can't write an event viewer analysis.
Unfortunately, I just got my second BSOD while looking at Windows updates (to keep win 10 away from my fragile system). I was checking into more info from MS about KB3035583. I have no idea if this could be a coincidence.
But it is an ASUS computer, I assume with an ASUS harddrive, the Win 10 updates are messing people up and....I'm getting confused. Maybe there are multiple problems.

I am going to search Win Updates for KB3133977. I never got a red screen or anything about BIOS....

Old 05-12-2016, 03:15 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
If you're not getting a constant BSOD every time you boot then this isn't your issue, and Asus doesn't make hard drives.

Last edited by NHDave; 05-12-2016 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-12-2016, 03:22 PM

Thanks Again.
I actually searched for these updates and didn't come up with anything. I put in the KB# (minus the KB) in th upper right hand box in the view windows update screen. All three, the 2 related to win10 and this one you posted, yeilded nothing. I did find one I had to "hide" today regarding win 10. It will just require constant monitoring.
Thanks for that info. I'm really going to freak out if I see a red screen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers